[Vision2020] "No member of Chirst Church supports slavery." -- Doug Jones

Steve Wells wellstep@turbonet.com
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:10:29 -0800

--------------030307010603040904030700

In Friday's (Nov.21) Moscow Daily News article (Group opposes slavery
booklet), Doug Jones is quoted as saying that "no member of Christ
Church supports slavery."

If that is correct, then the pastor of Christ Church, Doug Wilson,
should admit (out loud) that what that he wrote in booklet (Southern
Slavery, As it Was), was 100% wrong. Because this is what he says in the
booklet:

"The reason why many Christians will be tempted to dismiss the arguments
presented in this booklet is that we will say (out loud) that a godly
man could have been a slave owner." -p.11

"Our humanistic and democratic culture regards slavery in itself as a
monstrous evil, and it acts as though this were self-evidently true. The
Bible permits Christians to own slaves, provided they are treated well."
--p.12

"The Bible teaches that a man may be a faithful Christian and a
slave-owner...." --p.17

"Owning slaves is not an abomination. The Bible does not condemn it, and
those who believe the Bible are bound to refrain in the same way." --p.21

The two Dougs from Christ Church cannot have it both ways. Either
slavery is evil or it is not. Which Doug are we to believe?

--------------030307010603040904030700

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
In Friday's (Nov.21) Moscow Daily News article (Group opposes slavery booklet),
Doug Jones is quoted as saying that "no member of Christ Church supports slavery."
 If that is correct, then the pastor of Christ Church, Doug Wilson, should
admit (out loud) that what that he wrote in booklet (Southern Slavery, As
it Was), was 100% wrong. Because this is what he says in the booklet:<br>
 &nbsp;<br>
 "The reason why many Christians will be tempted to dismiss the arguments
presented in this booklet is that we will say (out loud) that a godly man
could have been a slave owner." -p.11<br>
 "Our humanistic and democratic culture regards slavery<i> in itself </i>as
a monstrous evil, and it acts as though this were self-evidently true. The
Bible permits Christians to own slaves, provided they are treated well."
--p.12<br>
 "The Bible teaches that a man may be a faithful Christian and a slave-owner...."
--p.17<br>
 "Owning slaves is not an abomination. The Bible does not condemn it, and
those who believe the Bible are bound to refrain in the same way." --p.21<br>