[Vision2020] Slavery and the Credenda Agenda

Steve Wells wellstep@turbonet.com
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:36:55 -0800

--------------020700010109010207050107

With all of the attention that's been placed on the "Southern Slavery"
booklet, it is easy to overlook other views on the subject that have
been expressed in our community. It turns out that Doug Wilson is not
entirely alone on this issue. Others, with very similar views, have also
written on the topic at the Credenda / Agenda website, a "literature
ministry of Christ Church."

Volume 4, Number 6 <http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/cont4-6.htm#hist>
(A Southern Apologetic) is especially interesting. Those who are
interested in understanding the position of Christ Church should read
the articles that are posted there. I've included a few excerpts below.
(My own snide remarks are in parentheses.)

Gregory Dickison
Moses and the 13th Amendment
<http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol4/magi4-6.htm>
(Gregory, Moses, and God are against the 13th Amendment)

"Nowhere in the Bible, however, is slavery abolished as an institution
or spoken of as evil per se. What the Bible does say about slavery
reveals it to be a blessing or a curse, as well as a practice ordained
and regulated by God."

"The inspired and inerrant Word of God declares that Abraham has been
given slaves by God as a blessing...The same is said of Isaac when he
began to prosper (Gen. 26:12-14). It is impossible to maintain that
slavery is evil on a biblical basis in light of these verses."

"A slave owner who treats his slaves according to the biblical mandate
is a blessing to his charges. Examples of such masters abounded in the
South, as well as in Scripture...."

"Finally, the allegedly Christian abolitionists were not only wrong in
their reasoning, they were actually guilty of encouraging sin. Paul
exhorted slaves to love their masters and serve them obediently, for
this was pleasing to God (Eph. 6:5-8; Col. 3:22-24). Rather than
encouraging slaves to be obedient and content in their position as the
Bible instructs, professing Christians were fomenting rebellion."

Douglas Wilson
True Defiance <http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol9/them9-1.htm>
(Doug is still fighting -and losing--the Civil War)

"We have enough problems in our culture without resurrecting a war that
ended one hundred and thirty years ago." ... But we are convinced that
we will not understand the current civil conflicts which surround us
until we go back and learn the truth about the War Between the States.
Until we get that particular history lesson straight, we will continue
to get every other subsequent history lesson wrong. The battles we fight
today are simply a later stage in the same war."

Terry Morin
A Hundred Circling Camps
<http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol4/hist4-6.htm>
(The Civil War was a religious war between heathen and saints -
Unitarians and Baptists)

The Second Great Awakening was a series of religious revivals stretching
from 1800 to the time of the Unitarian-Baptist . . . oops -- War Between
the States. ... The theological shift from a God-centered orientation to
a man-centered one produced an explosion of "reform" movements. The
abolition of slavery, the growth of state-sponsored schools, giving
women the right to vote, and the founding of various utopian communities
were all products, to a significant extent, of the Second Great
Awakening. Throughout the United States of America, and on either side
of the Mason-Dixon Line, the Christian religion was becoming a means to
an end. What distinguished the northern reform movements, abolitionism
included, was that the "ends" they had chosen were more obviously
unbiblical than those being chosen in the South.

Douglas Wilson
So Why Are We Writing About This?
<http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol4/them4-6.htm>
(This short article is first half of the infamous "Southern Slavery"
booklet)

--------------020700010109010207050107

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
With all of the attention that's been placed on the "Southern Slavery" booklet,
it is easy to overlook other views on the subject that have been expressed
in our community. It turns out that Doug Wilson is not entirely alone on
this issue. Others, with very similar views, have also written on the topic
at the Credenda / Agenda website, a "literature ministry of Christ Church."<br>
6</a> (A Southern Apologetic) is especially interesting. Those who are interested
in understanding the position of Christ Church should read the articles that
are posted there. I've included a few excerpts below. (My own snide remarks
are in parentheses.)<br>
Gregory Dickison<br>
13th Amendment</a><br>
(Gregory, Moses, and God are against the 13th Amendment)<br>
"Nowhere in the Bible, however, is slavery abolished as an institution or
spoken of as evil per se. What the Bible does say about slavery reveals it
to be a blessing or a curse, as well as a practice ordained and regulated
by God." <br>
"The inspired and inerrant Word of God declares that Abraham has been given
slaves by God as a blessing&#8230;The same is said of Isaac when he began to prosper
(Gen. 26:12-14). It is impossible to maintain that slavery is evil on a biblical
basis in light of these verses." <br>
"A slave owner who treats his slaves according to the biblical mandate is
a blessing to his charges. Examples of such masters abounded in the South,
as well as in Scripture&#8230;."<br>
"Finally, the allegedly Christian abolitionists were not only wrong in their
reasoning, they were actually guilty of encouraging sin. Paul exhorted slaves
to love their masters and serve them obediently, for this was pleasing to
God (Eph. 6:5-8; Col. 3:22-24). Rather than encouraging slaves to be obedient
and content in their position as the Bible instructs, professing Christians
were fomenting rebellion."<br>
Douglas Wilson<br>
(Doug is still fighting &#8211;and losing&#8212;the Civil War)<br>
"We have enough problems in our culture without resurrecting a war that ended
one hundred and thirty years ago." &#8230; But we are convinced that we will not
understand the current civil conflicts which surround us until we go back
and learn the truth about the War Between the States. Until we get that particular
history lesson straight, we will continue to get every other subsequent history
lesson wrong. The battles we fight today are simply a later stage in the
same war." <br>
Terry Morin<br>
Camps</a><br>
(The Civil War was a religious war between heathen and saints &#8211; Unitarians
and Baptists)<br>
The Second Great Awakening was a series of religious revivals stretching
from 1800 to the time of the Unitarian-Baptist . . . oops -- War Between
the States. &#8230; The theological shift from a God-centered orientation to a
man-centered one produced an explosion of "reform" movements. The abolition
of slavery, the growth of state-sponsored schools, giving women the right
to vote, and the founding of various utopian communities were all products,
to a significant extent, of the Second Great Awakening. Throughout the United
States of America, and on either side of the Mason-Dixon Line, the Christian
religion was becoming a means to an end. What distinguished the northern
reform movements, abolitionism included, was that the "ends" they had chosen
were more obviously unbiblical than those being chosen in the South. <br>
Douglas Wilson<br>
We Writing About This? </a><br>
(This short article is first half of the infamous "Southern Slavery" booklet)<br>

--------------020700010109010207050107--