[Vision2020] Shrill Crusade

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth@hotmail.com
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:24:45 -0800

Slave:

\Slave\, n. [Cf. F. esclave, D. slaaf, Dan. slave, sclave, Sw. slaf, all fr.
G. sklave, MHG. also slave, from the national name of the Slavonians, or
Sclavonians (in LL. Slavi or Sclavi), who were frequently made slaves by the
Germans. See Slav.] 1. A person who is held in bondage to another; one who
is wholly subject to the will of another; one who is held as a chattel; one
who has no freedom of action, but whose person and services are wholly under
the control of another.  Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, ©
1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

I'm assuming this is the definition we are discussing.

Will you be my slave, Douglas Wilson?  If not, why?

Not that I would want to own a slave, though.  That goes against my morals
(yes, Douglas, I have morals-n : motivation based on ideas of right and
wrong [syn: ethical motive, ethics, morality]Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997
Princeton University) perhaps because I was raised Christian, perhaps from
an inherent source.  I believe it is wrong to force another into slavery
because I have empathy and do not like seeing others suffer.

Our society would not function if people didn't have morals because, for
one, you'd have some people wanting to make slaves out of other people.
Morals can result from a humanistic belief, as well as other religious
beliefs.  It can even be an American or constitutional belief.  Christians,
Jews, Muslims or Buddhists do not hold a monopoly on morality or God.  Only
arrogance would assume morality or God speaks only to the group one belongs
to or that one person or book is the spokesperson for morality or God.

Not everything is relative and not everything is rigid.  One relative thing
is people's view towards slavery, as seen by this discussion.  One rigid
thing is that people don't enjoy having to do things against their will.
Sometimes that's alright, as in a child having to clean his room.
Sometimes, that's wrong, as in forcing a person into slavery.

Where is your conscience, Douglas?  Do you think slavery is alright because
the bible condones it, or do you think it is inherently alright?  Is that
what you believe deep down?  If so, why?

My favorite teaching of Jesus is his teaching of the Golden Rule: do unto
others as you would have done unto you.  I would not want to be your slave,
thus I would never make you my slave, regardless that the bible condones it
and that this thus contradicts the bible.

Love, Douglas, your neighbors as your brothers and sisters, because we are
one big opinionated family in the grand scheme of things.  It seems better
to help one another than to hurt one another as slavery absolutely does.  Or
do you think that is relative?

The bottom line is we are all (hopefully) learning to become better humans
through our journey through life.  Debating relativism or absolutism, may
help that, but those are divisive words.  We all also have things we can
share to make our growth occur, regardless of the religion, race or culture
we proclaim.  So as one member of your family, brother Douglas, may I
suggest that your archaic notion of slavery perhaps should be updated?
Unless, of course, you'd be willing to become my slave...

For Freedom for All,

Garrett Clevenger

http://www.icehouse.net/garrett

"What are we doing to our Family?!:("

Need a shot of Hank Williams or Patsy Cline?  The classic country stars are
always singing on MSN Radio Plus.  Try one month free!