[Vision2020] In Support of Alturas Park

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:36:35 -0800

I think that the city's zoning code trumps the Alturas business plan.  Any business (and
its plan) in town must operate within the zoning restrictions applied to it.  This zone was
funded publicly and zoned (restricted) publicly to provide space <underline>specifically</underline> for research
and technology businesses.  Why?  Because those businesses could not, typically, get off
the ground financially at start-up.  Does that same difficulty apply to law offices,
accountants, engineers, architects, and day care centers--especially ones that are
already located in town?  If we can expand the uses in Alturas to get businesses THAT
WOULD OTHERWISE NOT BE HERE, then you and i are on the same page.   Providing a
space for "start-ups" makes sense for all the reasons you have previously stated.
Expanding to allow existing Moscow businesses to move to Alturas and remove their
taxes from the city income stream is entirely different.  You want to change the real
purpose of the park, but you don't really speak to that issue before P&Z or Council.
There was a significant amount of public discussion about the need for and structure of
Alturas when it was created.  You are suggesting that we undo that without that same
degree of public discussion and debate now.  And you often demonize anyone who asks
a question about the intent or effect by suggesting or saying outright that they are "anti-
business" or "anti-growth."  Below you have resorted to the suggestion that a business
that moves from one part of Moscow to Alturas is going to create a higher-paying job for
someone.  That's just rhetoric and you know it.  No existing business raises employee
wages simply BECAUSE it moved to Alturas.  And most of the changes you are
recommending to the zoning of Alturas have to do with allowing EXISTING businesses
to move there, not creating space for new ones.

Your statement "as the economy changes and the University changes, there is a
significant negative impact on the local economy" only applies if the economy and/or UI
change for the WORSE.  As UI expands--GOOD for Moscow.  As the US economy
recovers/expands--GOOD for Moscow.  I don't see much diversity created by allowing
businesses to move out of existing Moscow space into Alturas.  Same jobs, same
business, same city.  So, I'm with you for creating NEW jobs.  That is entirely separate
from the issues that are being discussed though.

Mike Curley