[Vision2020] public schools & indoctrination

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:21:12 -0600

<P>Joshua and Dale,</P>
<P>Well, I've never thumped a bible in my life, and&nbsp;I'm no biblical scholar, but I sure think I read a different set of books, both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament, than you two.&nbsp; </P>
<P>I read books that talked about redistributing wealth, and that clearly linked justice with the redistribution of wealth and kindness and generosity.&nbsp; Joshua (ours not the Bible's)&nbsp;said:</P>
<P>"Or do you deny God exists, declare that these underprivileged people over here somehow "deserve" that gold colored crayon since their crayon box didn't have one, and redistribute wealth? The situation seems petty, and it is, but small lies lead to big ones, and so do small principles. No one "deserves" anything, except justice. That is the whole point. Justice doesn't allow for giving, for mercy, for kindness. Justice comes down with the razor edge and divides the "haves"-those who obey from the "have nots"-those who don't. No one does. So we all need reconciling. God's mercy reconciles us in the right way, His way. And that way doesn't include big vats of school supplies redistributed equally among every student. God blesses some more than others. Some students have more than others. It is the way the world is and no amount of equal sharing will change it."</P>
<P>Where in the bible do you find that reasoning, please? And where did Jesus model or teach behavior consistent with your opinion?</P>
<P>I find quite the opposite in Isaiah, Amos, Proverbs, Deuteronomy, Micah . . . .&nbsp; Heck Jesus "stole" some bread and fish from individuals and redistributed them to all, and he made a pretty big impression about community and providing for each other, and--oh yeah--faith.&nbsp; Didn't he also suggest that a wealthy young businessman should sell everything he has and give the money to the poor (who of course don't "deserve" it right)?&nbsp; He also told people to pay their taxes.&nbsp; </P>
<P>There is a Republican governor in Alabama who is increasing taxes on the wealthiest folks to pay for services and and government programs--including schools and programs for families, children, and the poor, and he is doing it based on his understanding of Christian teachings.&nbsp; And, he is not drawing some line around government that would prevent him from acting on his faith as a lawmaker and leader.&nbsp; He sees that the principles of charity and justice can be achieved both through personal choices and through common institutions, like government.&nbsp; And you don't have to pray in public or put up the ten commandments to do it!</P>
<P>Here's an interview with the conservative, Christian law professor whose arguments influenced the governor.&nbsp;</P>
<P><A href="http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week648/interview4.html">http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week648/interview4.html</A>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>So, Dale and Joshua, it's unfortunate that we have read very, very different books, somehow.&nbsp; The books I read tell me to value community over property.&nbsp; They tell me to pay taxes for schools, health care,&nbsp;welfare programs, roads, clean water, programs for the elderly, and more and more and more.&nbsp; I act out of charity too, making donations and volunteering my time toward similar ends.&nbsp; But I see no inconsistency in having government take up those tasks as well and taxing us all to do so.&nbsp; </P>
<P>I sure would be interested, though, in the biblical basis for your thoughts above.&nbsp; There is, after all, a whole lot more than the eigth commandment to consider.</P>
<P>Amy</P>
<DIV></DIV>Do you Yahoo!?
<DIV></DIV>Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuard