[Vision2020] Conscientious Spending

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 01:21:24 -0800

<P>Dale, </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Once again you attempt to win your arguments through strawmen and picking and choosing the facts you want and excluding those that work against your argument.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>First off, I do not claim to preach "tolerance". I preach "acceptance" of people that do not harm others. People should not be tolerated. I find it horrible that people should be put into the category of tolerated.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I find the only place where tolerance fits in is where religious preachers must strike a somewhat sensible logic behind preaching the destruction of gays and lesbians without actually using violence that is also preached against by their belief in Christ. Otherwise, their religion is found in self conflict and fails to grow and persuade people to join their little cults.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Nor do I preach the acceptance of everybody. Just acceptance of people regardless of what characteristics they have or behavior they engage in that does not harm innocent people. I preach unacceptance of people that engage in behavior that is destructive to the lives of innocent people.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Some, but not all, of those things include adults abusing children, rape, theft, and murder. I also preach unacceptance of people that commit violence or preach violence against other innocent people.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Sorry I do not fit into your stereotype of a social liberal. I despise the word tolerance in reference to people.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>When you hijack the word bigotry and discrimination to mean what you want to mean, then yes, we can say that everyone is a bigot and discriminates. Which is what the religious right wing likes to do. They like to hijack words and change the intent and meaning of the author because they cannot win the argument on the bases of logic. Or in Dale's case, plant a weak argument that was never made by the person and pounce on it and tear it apart and say, "Look, I am such a smart guy". All the while not being intelligent enough to realize they were attacking an argument that was never made.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I think I would fall out of my chair if Dale actually made an argument that followed the logic of: If A equals B, and B equals C, then A must equal C without using a false premise. Instead Dale says: If A equals B and C equals Z then P must equal Z while using about 6 false premises in the process.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Finally, just to point out what Dale missed in the other 1/2 of my message. I was not saying that the owner of a business that dislikes 3/4 of the population should move from Moscow. I was stating that if one does that it would be illogical to open a business here, especially if they declare such to a public newspaper and complain about being boycotted. Of course, I don't expect Dale to comprehend the logic of this irony. Instead, I expect him to take it out of context and then make a weak false argument. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Donovan </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Dale Courtney" <DMCOURTN@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Conscientious Spending
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:19:30 -0800
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;And here we see the real face of diversity and tolerance -- be diverse: as you look like me; be tolerant of others: as long as they think like me.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Truly a poster-child for the intolerant Tolerant. I've run into this same mentality in the South. We have another name for it down there.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Best,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Dale
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I also think anyone that lives in Moscow and cannot appreciate students, women, and gays and lesbians, ought to go someplace else. I think in one way or another he offended 3/4 of the people in the town. He did much more damage to his business than just one or a few people that plastered unsubstantiated flyers and stickers about his business could ever do.