[Vision2020] Concientious Spending

John Danahy jdanahy@turbonet.com
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:52:34 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3A6B7.F9CD4070

First of all, this is Laurie Danahy writing, not John.  John & I share =
the
home e-mail.  =20

=20

I agree with Melynda's definition of boycott, which is a useful tool for
political change, especially at a community, statewide, national or
international level.  I also believe that individuals have a right to
support or not support businesses for reasons based on their personal =
belief
systems.  In a free and open society is acceptable to share those =
reasons
with others, who then have a choice whether to agree or disagree.  In =
some
cases this support/nonsupport will be aimed at effecting change in the
institution involved, in other cases it is truly a matter of preference.
Just as I have the write to vote for my preferred candidate, I can vote =
with
my cash for the businesses I would most like to have succeed.  These =
choices
are usually based on an individual effort to live one's life according =
the dictates of conscience, beliefs and interests. =20

=20

=20

For example, some of the businesses, I like to patronize include.

=20

* A bakery that entered the market when there were no other "stand =
alone"
bakeries, and that has provided excellent, reasonably priced goods for =
both
individual and community group efforts

* A locally owned wine and cheese store that has a history of providing
helpful, knowledgeable service and good value products of quality, and =
has
donated time, energy, and resources to community efforts=20

* A locally owned book store that provides a warm welcome and a =
diversity of
materials, and that offers ongoing support for arts and intellectual
pursuits within the community

* A local department store with long-term employees and owners that have
been actively involved not only in contributing money to community =
programs
but in serving on the boards of those programs.

* A print shop franchise owned by people who are active volunteers in
community youth projects

* Other local, national and international businesses and non-profits =
whose
efforts, practices, and affiliations are congruent, to the best of my
knowledge, with my belief system.  =20

=20

Some of the businesses I avoid or use on a more limited basis include.

=20

* Large chains with poor records of employee treatment

* Hardware stores that ignore women standing at the counter

* Businesses affiliated with organizations that are not congruent, to =
the
best of my knowledge, with my personal belief system.

=20

I believe everyone has the right to make similar choices. =20

=20

Laurie Danahy

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3A6B7.F9CD4070

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>First of all, this is Laurie Danahy writing, not =
John.&nbsp;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I agree with Melynda&#8217;s definition of boycott, =
which is
a useful tool for political change, especially at a community, =
statewide,
national or international level.&nbsp; I also believe that individuals =
have a
right to support or not support businesses for reasons based on their =
personal
belief systems.&nbsp; In a free and open society is acceptable to share =
those reasons
with others, who then have a choice whether to agree or disagree.&nbsp; =
In some
cases this support/nonsupport will be aimed at effecting change in the
institution involved, in other cases it is truly a matter of =
preference.&nbsp; Just
as I have the write to vote for my preferred candidate, I can vote with =
my cash
for the businesses I would most like to have succeed.&nbsp; These =
choices are usually
based on an individual effort to live one&#8217;s life according to the

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>For example, some of the businesses, I like to =
patronize

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* A bakery that entered the market when there were no =
other &#8220;stand
alone&#8221; bakeries, and that has provided excellent, reasonably =
priced goods

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* A locally owned wine and cheese store that has a =
history
of providing helpful, knowledgeable service and good value products of =
quality,
and has donated time, energy, and resources to community efforts =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* A locally owned book store that provides a warm =
welcome
and a diversity of materials, and that offers ongoing support for arts =
and

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* A local department store with long-term employees =
and owners
that have been actively involved not only in contributing money to =
community
programs but in serving on the boards of those =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* A print shop franchise owned by people who are =
active

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* Other local, national and international businesses =
and
non-profits whose efforts, practices, and affiliations are congruent, to =
the
best of my knowledge, with my belief system.&nbsp;&nbsp; =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Some of the businesses I avoid or use on a more =
limited

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* Large chains with poor records of employee =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* Hardware stores that ignore women standing at the =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>* Businesses affiliated with organizations that are =
not
congruent, to the best of my knowledge, with my personal belief =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I believe everyone has the right to make similar

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;