[Vision2020] Local businessman slandered

Melynda Huskey Melynda Huskey" <mghuskey@moscow.com
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 23:40:02 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C3A651.A1336E50

Local businessman slanderedWouldn't it have been more accurate for the =
Argonaut headline to read "Local Business Vandalized"?

The stickering was vandalism, pure and simple.  It's a crime.  It's =
cowardly.  It was undoubtedly motivated by religious intolerance.  It =
wasn't, however, racist, and it's silly to say that it was. =20

A boycott is an organized withholding of patronage from a business in =
order to pressure it to change its policies or practices:  in =
Montgomery, Alabama, black patrons didn't ride the buses, for example, =
until the bus company changed their policies about seating.  Some =
listmembers may likewise have boycotted California grapes to create =
better working conditions for farm workers, or Nestle products to =
encourage them to stop giving away infant formula in developing nations.

It doesn't make sense to organize a boycott in this situation, because =
there's no policy to change.

On the other hand, you won't see me spending a thin dime to fill the =
pockets of someone who feels comfortable telling a Tribune reporter that =
gay people are immoral, but he can accept us as we are.  Gay money fills =
that cash register just like straight money, doesn't it, Mr. Greenfield? =
 Thanks a million, but my immoral family and our immoral money won't =
strain your "acceptance."   And neither will our friends.  And if indeed =
there are steady customers of Bucer's who are gay, as Mr. Greenfield =
claims, I hope they'll think twice about their next visit.  =
Self-loathing ought to have its limits.

Still waiting for the Christian bakery which provides its customers with =
moral reflections on gluttony (one of the Seven Deadlies, no less),

Melynda Huskey
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C3A651.A1336E50

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Local businessman slandered</TITLE><BASE=20
href=3Dhttp://www.courtneys.us/Greenfield.htm>
<META content=3DFrontPage.Editor.Document name=3DProgId>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wouldn't it have been more accurate for =
the=20
Argonaut headline to read "Local Business Vandalized"?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The stickering was vandalism, pure and=20
simple.&nbsp; It's a crime.&nbsp; It's cowardly.&nbsp; It was =
undoubtedly=20
motivated by religious intolerance. &nbsp;It wasn't, however, racist, =
and it's=20
silly to say that it was.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A boycott is an organized withholding =
of=20
patronage&nbsp;from a business in order to pressure it to&nbsp;change =
its=20
policies or practices:&nbsp;&nbsp;in Montgomery, Alabama, black patrons =
didn't=20
ride the&nbsp;buses, for example, until the bus company changed their =
policies=20
about seating.&nbsp; Some listmembers may likewise have=20
boycotted&nbsp;California grapes&nbsp;to create better working =
conditions for=20
farm workers, or Nestle products to&nbsp;encourage them to =
stop&nbsp;giving away=20
infant formula in developing nations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It doesn't make sense to organize a =
boycott in this=20
situation, because there's no policy to change.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On the other hand, you won't see me =
spending a thin=20
dime to fill the pockets of someone who feels comfortable telling&nbsp;a =
Tribune=20
reporter that gay people are immoral, but he can accept us as we=20
are.&nbsp;&nbsp;Gay money fills that cash register just like straight =
money,=20
doesn't it, Mr. Greenfield?&nbsp; Thanks a million, but my immoral =
family and=20
our&nbsp;immoral money&nbsp;won't strain =
your&nbsp;"acceptance."&nbsp;&nbsp; And=20
neither will our friends.&nbsp; And if indeed there are steady customers =
of=20
Bucer's who are gay, as Mr. Greenfield claims, I hope they'll think =
twice about=20
their next visit.&nbsp; Self-loathing ought to have its =
limits.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Still waiting for the Christian bakery =
which=20
provides its customers with moral reflections on gluttony (one of the =
Seven=20
Deadlies, no less),</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Melynda Huskey</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C3A651.A1336E50--