[Vision2020] Alturas again

Bill Strand strand@pacsim.com
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:11:18 -0800

Mr. London,

I don't find myself agreeing with Mr. Courtney often, but this time he
hit the nail on the head. This was again a weak attempt to divert
attention from the fact you have continually misrepresented the facts.
Like when you claimed that half the jobs at Alturas came from downtown.
Was this another "opinion" or just an attempt to inflame? If it was an
opinion, it was certainly an uninformed one.

These misrepresentations are an attempt to develop an "emotional appeal"
for the arguments. Everyone here likes the downtown and would like to
see 100% occupancy. So saying that all these businesses came from the
downtown area helps develop emotional support for the conclusion. Then
when this is challenged, it is time to move the attack elsewhere.

I find myself fighting this battle in the scientific area on a continual
basis. Somebody comes to a conclusion and supports it with certain
"facts". When it is pointed out that the "facts" are actually incorrect,
then the author says something like "you are not looking at the big
picture, but instead are getting caught up in the details".

I have no problem looking at the "big picture" here. But when I do this
I do it with a full accounting of the benefits and liabilities. I notice
when you post, you discuss only the liabilities. Any objective view on
this subject would consider both sides of the ledger sheet.

And where are your arguments when the City funds downtown
revitalization? This is your tax dollars going to private business.

Bill Strand