[Vision2020] more perspective

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:13:35 -0600

<P>Dean's comments are very troubling.&nbsp; I think Rev. Sharpton's response is true--he could not appeal to anti-semitism in the name of reaching a broad base of voters, and neither should Dean be allowed to elevate the concerns of white nationalists/white separatists without taking serious criticism.</P>
<P>Among the problems with Dean's way of thinking--he sympathizes with poor white southerners whose children do not have health insurance, but he expressed his sympathy in a way that reinforces their belief that poor white children don't have health insurance because of black and brown skinned folks.&nbsp; The implication is also that black and brown skinned children do have health insurance, which is untrue.&nbsp; Instead of sinking to the level of debate of those with confederate flags in their pickups, Dean should have found a way to inform those white voters that their children, and all children, are disadvantaged by our economy and by the current administration's health and welfare policies.<BR><BR>Yes, Mr. Wilson, many people--even good, kind, family oriented people--promote racist thinking in dangerous ways.&nbsp; Ideas and people who reinforce racist ideas should be challenged wherever they are found, whether they lead churches or run for president.</P>
<P>Dean will have a long way to go to get my vote, and I will be closely following this line of discussion.&nbsp; Thank you for bringing it to our attention, as it is a very important development in the primary.</P>
<P>Amy Smoucha</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----Original Message Follows----
<DIV></DIV>From: Douglas <DOUGWILS@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>To: vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] more perspective
<DIV></DIV>Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 09:15:27 -0800
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Visionaries,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Rob says::
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I find it ironic Dean is being accused of being racist.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>So do I.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; If you read his Web
<DIV></DIV>&gt;site(http://www.deanforamerica.com), you'll find he's one of the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;most
<DIV></DIV>&gt;socially liberal candidates since FDR.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I have to read something? Can't I just accuse?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Cordially,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Douglas Wilson
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994. http://www.fsr.net mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ