[Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education

Luke lukenieuwsma@softhome.net
Sat, 31 May 2003 07:40:16 -0700

Hey, Ted,

> It is easy for this point of view to lead to persecution of those who
> believe different, and people of many different faiths, including
> Christianity, have persecuted those of other faiths throuhout history, and
> continue to do so now.  I caution that to assert absolute certainty about
> your faith and deny the possibility that other faiths could be valid is a
> dangerous position that could lead to extremism.

Well, if I believe that everyone should treat everyone better than himself
because of Christ's sacrifice
(which I do), then it would be hypocrisy to hound and force others into
believing the same thing. Besides, history has proven that to be a very
inaffective method of evangalism. A logical, honest Christian has no reason
to use force to spread the gospel.

Here is what I assert absolute certainty of.
 1. All men are sinners.
2. Christ died for the world.
3. I am part of the world, and am forgiven by His grace.
4. Ergo, I MUST live out my love to the people around me.

> I was never taught in public schools that there is no God!  God was
> mentioned in Literature class, in History class, in Sociology.  After all,
> belief in God is an important subject in literarture, history and
sociology.
>   Most of my classmates were church going Christians.  Yes, the public
> schools do not advocate Christianity in the manner you might wish they do,
> but again I assure you I was never taught there is no God.  I never sat in
> any class and heard a teacher say "Class, today we are going to learn why
> there is no God."

Well, same as with Mr. Arnold, you probably were in high school before the
Supreme Court made prayer in a school a legal offense, before the Supreme
court banned every single Bible from the public schools. Things have
changed. You ought to talk to one of the modern highschool students, ask
them what their science teacher told them about God.

> Concerning evolution, God could very well make the universe and the earth
> and allow things to evolve as science indicates.

Well, considering irreducible complexity and DNA, that's not what happened.

Best,

Luke Nieuwsma