[Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 09:41:57 +0000

Luke et. al.

Sorry about the earlier scam artist comment, I just found some of the things
you said so incredible...

I offer a few comments and answers to your statements below.

>>     On the issue of being openminded to all religions and teaching all
>>religions, we need to keep something in mind: there is only one true
>>faith.
>>There is such a thing as absolute truth, and either a religion is true, or
>>it isn't. But they can't all be true at once - that is Pantheism. Allah
>>can't be the only god at the same time as the 30 million Hindu gods
>>(that's
>>no hyperbole, BTW), at the same time as the trinitarian God! And since
>>there
>>is only one truth, we need to find it. And when you've found it, you
>>should
>>steer others towards it.

It is easy for this point of view to lead to persecution of those who
believe different, and people of many different faiths, including
Christianity, have persecuted those of other faiths throuhout history, and
continue to do so now.  I caution that to assert absolute certainty about
your faith and deny the possibility that other faiths could be valid is a
dangerous position that could lead to extremism.

>>Because people live out what they believe. Muslims believe that their god
>>is
>>the only one, and that they have the right to kill the "dogs and infidels"
>>that resist their religion, so they fly planes into towers and kill
>>thousands. Children are taught in schools that there is no god, and that
>>they are simply higher-evolved animals, and one day some of them come to
>>school and do what happens in nature all the time - they kill others of
>>their species! We need to discuss these things because your theology comes
>>out of your fingertips, and some can be persuaded to turn toward the
>>light.
>>
>>(And no, I don't hate Muslims.)

If the men who flew the planes into the WTC had been taught to question
their faith and consider that other faiths might be valid, would they have
had the same fanatiscism that led to terrorism?  This is a perfect example
of why I am saying there is value in a religiously diverse eductation that
can teach respect for a wide variety of faiths.

I was never taught in public schools that there is no God!  God was
mentioned in Literature class, in History class, in Sociology.  After all,
belief in God is an important subject in literarture, history and sociology.
  Most of my classmates were church going Christians.  Yes, the public
schools do not advocate Christianity in the manner you might wish they do,
but again I assure you I was never taught there is no God.  I never sat in
any class and heard a teacher say "Class, today we are going to learn why
there is no God."

Concerning evolution, God could very well make the universe and the earth
and allow things to evolve as science indicates.  Many people who believe in
God accept evolution.

>>Right, and people need to realize there is only one true religion. When we
>>all believe the same thing and live like it, then will peace come. I
>>believe
>>in Christ, and thus I must treat others as I would be treated. I believe
>>there was a sacrifice for my sins, and therefore I must realize that I am
>>undeserving of all good things. Therefore, when others offend me, I must
>>forgive, forgive, forgive. If everyone were to live as though God had
>>forgiven them of all their sins, then would peace come.

>>Luke Nieuwsma

You state that "When we all believe the same thing and live like it, then
peace will come."   So you think if an earth worshiper, a Christian, a
Muslim and a Hindu were all stranded on a desert island, it would be
impossible for them to live in peace?  They might fight over food, water,
other resources or territory, issues people all over earth fight over, but I
believe they could live in peace together even with their different faiths,
if they had a respect for other faiths that they had learned with a diverse
religious education.

I don't think the human race will ever "all believe the same thing,"
therefore to find peace we need to learn humility and respect for differing
faiths.   Allowing for the possibility of the validity of other faiths, and
humility regarding the certainty of the faith someone believes in, can
temper the extremism that leads to war and religious hatred.

Is this not a reasonable approach?  In this approach I am not advocating
people abandon their faiths, please understand.

Ted