[Vision2020] Rumor Control

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Fri, 30 May 2003 13:20:04 -0700

> I have heard through the grape vine that the Moscow High
> Principal invited the Potlatch Basketball Coach down for what
> amounted to a job inteview recently before the selection
> committee got a look at this individual.  The actual  job
> opening is for a math teacher and  it is also my
> understanding that while this individual has an enviable
> record as a basketball coach, his teaching skills in math are
> not first rate.  Is this just a rumor or is there some
> substance to it?  If it is true, I would hope that our
> priorities are for a better math education rather than
> winning a few more basketball games.

Mark, I don't know about you. But when I was in high school, with the
exception on my 12th grade college composition English teacher, *all* of my
teachers were coaches. That was their "collateral" duty. However, *none* of
them had a degree in what they were teaching me. I remember my 11th grade
English teacher was the head coach for the varsity football team. My high
school prided itself on its football team. He had a degree in PE (whoopee!)
and didn't know a thing about English or teaching English. And during
football season, he was gone more than he was in the class.

We may *say* that we want a good education for our children, but our actions
belie the truth.

Best,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho