[Vision2020] Slander: By what standard?

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Mon, 26 May 2003 10:05:49 -0700

Morning, everybody.

Thomas Bartnick asks two reasonable questions. The first is that if folks
locally can discount what Douglas Stambler says and does, then why do we
need to defend ourselves against him? First, the answer is that we do not
have to. The point was not to defend against Stambler's charges, but rather
to point out how many other people (who do not have his loose cannon
reputation) were starting to act like him. So we do have to defend
ourselves against others locally who have begun to employ the same kind of
reckless charges and slanders as Stambler has. Logos School a white
supremacist academy? For pity's sake. Anti-Semitism? Geez Louise. One good
way to do this is to point out the similarity in tactics.

At the same time, I have to admit that I was a bit too optimistic about
whether Stambler has been entirely discounted here locally. Over the
weekend, I received a communication from someone whose rationalism did not
protect him from the forces of unreason. That communication was another
chapter in the continuing saga of Gullible's Travels.

The second question is whether the Bible prohibits conservative ministers
from retaliating (I would say responding) in this way. The answer is that
it depends. As Jesus said at His trial, "If I have done wrong, then testify
to the wrong. If not, why do you strike me?" There are circumstances when
it is best to simply say nothing, as Christ did throughout most of His
trial. There are other times when the Scriptures call us to make a vigorous
defense, as the apostle Paul when slandered by various false apostles (see
Galatians and 2 Corinthians).

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson