[Vision2020] Explaining humor: was anti-Semitism

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 12:17:38 -0700

Dear visionaries,

First, lest there be any more misunderstanding, I will do my level best to
have this post be simple and straight, no goofing around.

Humor works by means of startling incongruity (although there are mysteries
beyond even this). Thus, when I and Christ Church were accused of racism, I
undertook to defend our good name. I set it up by indicating that I was
about to show our racial diversity, and went on to do just that (formally).
But the races I mentioned were Scots, Irish, English, all from the British
Isles. This was a joke at our expense. I was pretending to look like an
oblivious racist, of just the type we are accused of being. Tom took the
joke at face value, thus missing it.

Wayne Fox did not get my reference to replacing the Nazis with the Israeli
Likkud party. There is a difference between an ethnic joke ("Three rabbis
went into a bar . . .") and a joke that involves ethnicity. The point I was
making is that history happened the way it did, and not some other way. If
we can start erasing Trotsky from the photos, and Confederates from the
Southern armies, then why stop there? Thus I put Hispanic representation
into the hordes of Attila the Hun, and proposed replacing the Nazis with
the Israeli Likkud party. This was done for the sake of the startling
incongruity. The first was done on the basis of an anachronistic
incongruity, the latter on the basis of ideological incongruity. The Nazis
and the Likkud are mortal enemies, and switching them would make hash out
of history.

Making hash out of history this way is absurd to me, but not, apparently,
to everyone.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson, who is, by the way, happily married to the
great-granddaughter of Rabbi Cohen, and with a grandson whose other
grandfather is Jewish, and lots of other cool stuff like that.