[Vision2020] anti-Semitism

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 09:13:08 -0700

Morning, visionaries,

We have to be careful lest a love-fest break out here, but I would like to
thank Rose for coveting my tag line, and for saying publicly that in her
view I am not an anti-Semite. She says also that if I were to display any
of those tendencies she would hop on it like a fly on sugar. Let me say
here that if I were to do any such thing, I cordially invite her to do so
with enthusiasm.

Thomas Bartnick believes that I have reviled Douglas Stambler, which I
don't think is the case. Whatever the reason, Stambler is unbalanced, and
in certain settings, he is dangerous. His current weapon of choice is
slander, which he is spreading around the country at the speed of light.
People here in Moscow know him and can discount what he is doing, but on
the other side of the country, lies can be more credulously believed. Since
Stambler's choice of weapons is words, we answer with words. But please
note, our use of polemics with regard to him is parry, not thrust. We are
not trying to "get" him; we are simply defending ourselves.

One of the reasons we need to do so is that others who have more apparent
credibility (at least right now) have taken up the same kind of smears and
tactics for spreading the smears (even though they should know better,
Wayne). The sooner everybody sees this the better. You cannot act just like
Stambler and then not be associated with him. Wayne has joined a food fight
that was already in progress, and wants to keep his dignity by throwing
only green jello while Stambler, clearly an unbalanced man, has opted for
throwing the meat loaf and mashed potatoes. As far as I am concerned, Wayne
can explain the nuances of his position to the junior high principal, who
is just outside in the hall.

Wayne also says, "I didn't realize that denigrating ethnic humor was back
in style. How naive of me." In my post yesterday, when I defined a joke as
an entertainment for lesser-evolved primates, I forgot to mention that
"jokes" are also something of an elementary puzzle, and that a certain
response is called for from the hearer. This response is something that
primitives used to call "getting it."

One last thing. Although it is always great fun for liberals to play the
race card, in this instance, you need to look both ways before you cross
that street. I wonder how many racially-mixed families attend Christ
Church? Check it out before you make accusations. We have all kinds --
Scots, Irish, English, you name it.

Official notice to humorless logicians: the penultimate paragraph of this
post was a joke.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson