[Vision2020] Deep in the Matrix a Voice is Heard Whispering...

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 00:58:33 +0000

Deep in the matrix a voice is heard whispering...

Doug Jones is playing a "gotcha" game with Wayne Fox by pointing out that if
anyone holds any principles to be certain and true, these principles become
their "religion," that they cannot ultimately defend any more than any other
"religious" point of view, especially if they are a skeptic like Wayne Fox.
Therefore they are not standing on any ultimate ground of reality from which
to assert their principles are superior to other "religious" principles.

I am not trying to make logic a "God," but merely pointing out that the
tools of logic do work in the "real" world to get things done.  If it works
and keeps working, the empirical evidence indicates the logic is correct.

Like what is happening right now in this computer.

The application of the tools of logic are everywhere.  We rely on them every
day and they work as expected mostly.  Is logic a perfect system with no
flaws or uncertainties or unsolved riddles?  Of course not.  No "God" is
asserted here, in the sense many people think of an all powerful, all
knowing, all good being or power.

But if we say that Doug Jones religious beliefs do not have to follow Wayne
Fox's "God" of logic, then
Doug Jones might explain, for example, how the computer Doug Jones uses
every day that is based on the tools of modern logic and mathematics, works
as reliably as it does?

Or is Doug Jones going to say his computer really works according to special
logical rules Doug Jones believes in, that are different than Wayne Fox's
logical rules?

Or is it that the logic of computers and the logic of Doug Jones's
Trinitarianism are in separate "universes," that do not follow each others
logical rules?

I am waiting for that special "Trinitarian" computer programmed by the
alternative set of logical rules that Doug Jones believes in, that refute
the absolute grounding of Wayne Fox's logical rules in the "real" world, as
expressed in computers.

There is no doubt that computers function according to logical and
mathematical rules that are a part of the tradition of logic that Wayne Fox
references in his arguments about logic, evidence and truth.

So therefore, I conclude, Doug Jones thinks his computer is an expression of
that false "God" of modernity, "logic and mathematics?"

May the wrath of the logical computer Gods crash his system!

Ha!

Ted