[Vision2020] News Article, Mental Illness, Fixation of Belief Discussion

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 06:27:18 +0000

Mr. Potter et. al.

You mischaracterize the debate between Mr. Fox and Mr. Jones and others by
misstating the statements of people involved in the debate.

I do not recall Mr. Fox ever stating we should try to determine the "logical
necessity of every action decision and belief."  If he did state this,
please find the quote and include it in your statement.

Mr. Fox has insisted on empirical evidence and logical argument for central
beliefs that people use to structure their entire belief system, e.g.
religion, a reasonable enough expectation.  And he has pointed out that
actually his critics do use evidence and logic when it suits their purposes.
  It is when the facts or logic contradict their point of view that they
negate the epistemological relevance of certain kinds of logic or evidence.

Let's examine your concept of faith, which you started with.  Every day you
rely on numerous technologies that have been developed and tested with the
methods of empirical evidence and logic, the same methods that you seem to
call into question in terms of their relevance to living.  Your car starts
with a battery that supplies electricity to get you back to work to finish
your job, the traffic light changes on a fixed schedule that manages traffic
to avoid accidents, your computer works with superb application of
mathematics and logic to send your vision2020 post, doctors await at Gritman
with astonishing technologies to save your life if you do choke on your
dinner or have a stroke.

All of these events in your life are not determined by faith, they are
technological and social systems developed with evidence and logic.  They
operate according to principles discovered by human beings in applying
evidence and logic.  You can say we have discovered God's laws if you wish,
but to deny these laws operate in predictable ways that make sense based on
evidence and logic, is to deny the expectations all of us have every day
that these technologies will work as we expect them to based on the work of
the scientists and engineers who developed them.  It appears your life is
very much linked with a life or death reliance on evidence and logic, not
faith!

Of course all variables are not controlled:  everyone "crosses their
fingers" or invokes some sort of "higher power," even skeptics like yours
truly.  And no one I know, including Wayne Fox, has ever said everything in
life must be "logical," unless indeed they are, if not "mentally ill,"
absolutely bored to death.  Sheesh!

You also offer a definition of mental illness that is rather narrow.  Safety
to oneself or others is only one way of defining mental illness.  There have
been famous millionaires who locked themselves in bacteria free rooms and
lived in paranoia about "bugs" for years without risking their own safety,
or anyone else's safety, but they were regarded by nearly everyone as
nuts... or you pick the politically correct word for this!  However, these
sorts of "foolish" beliefs, if widely followed, do have negative
consequences for society.  Likewise with some religious beliefs.

Mr. Fox's  suggestion that certain religious beliefs are an expression of a
state of mental illness akin to a full grown adult believing in a literal
factual Santa Claus, is a reasonable suggestion that requires a reasonable
response, which I am not sure anyone on this list has yet supplied!

In trying to suggest to Mr. Fox that he adopt a more tolerant view of other
belief systems,
you state that we are not "hive animals" controlled by a "queen" or
"master."  This statement actually bolsters what Mr. Fox is saying, because
many religious communities that adopt some of the beliefs Mr. Fox is
suggesting are "mentally ill," are indeed ruled by a "master" who seeks to
conform everyone's thinking to one set of beliefs in a "hive."  I applaud
your metaphor!

Mr. Fox is not, if I have read him correctly, trying to impose any other
view than the one applying evidence and logic to important beliefs.  He is
merely saying, if I may surmise his intentions, that those religious leaders
who do act as "masters" trying to create a "hive" are not above having their
beliefs scrutinized by the standards of evidence and logic when they try to
control the minds of their flock.

You can throw out standards of evidence and logic if you wish, or you can
accept some standards of evidence and logic and reject others.   But then
when your car won't start and you can't get to work, when the traffic light
fails and causes an accident, when your computer won't work and you lose
your document, when your children get sick and need a doctor, will you rely
on faith alone to help these problems, or seek trained professionals who
have developed their skills with the tools of evidence and logic?

If you are Christian Scientist, and you children get sick, you might not
seek a professional doctor but rely only on "spiritual" healing.  And this
example demonstrates how these "religious" beliefs that Mr. Fox is
scrutinizing with evidence and logic are not so innocent if the consequences
of the beliefs are traced throughout the social/political/economic system.
I won't labor this point beyond this one example of children being denied
medical care based on "religious" grounds.

I do not think the discussion you wish to silence here is as you describe:
"...beating your head against the wall in these futile arguments..."
Doug Jones and Wayne Fox may not change each others minds, but there are
others reading this debate who may be influenced to think for themselves,
rather than as a member of the "hive," whatever hive is seeking to impose
it's will upon them!

To quote Thomas Jefferson: "Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less
remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is
wrong."

Ted