[Vision2020] Statistics

Luke lukenieuwsma@softhome.net
Sat, 17 May 2003 21:14:48 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_006D_01C31CB9.5950C960

Interestingly enough, in Switzerland teenage kids compete with adults in =
regular firearms tournaments with hefty guns, and crime is extremely =
low. Back in 1993, there was not a single armed robbery in Bern, the =
capital. Even the kids have guns, but they're taught how to use them at =
an early age... and how not to use them. In America, parents don't =
bother - they just get trigger locks.
BTW, Hitler bypassed the Swiss in WWII because... they all had guns.
-Resource was Congressional Debates over gun control

Cordially,
Luke Nieuwsma
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Donovan Arnold=20
  To: johnmoss@moscow.com ; vision2020@moscow.com=20
  Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 2:52 AM
  Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Statistics

  Good point John, however,

  Most people don't even know what statistics are, and don't even know =
what it means anyway. If you don't understand what methods used are, the =
margin or error, the level of significance, the non response rate, if it =
was voluntary or involuntary survey, if the alpha level was .5 .1. or =
.01., the wording of the questions. For all I know they used a Tcalc for =
a Zcalc test. Wouldn't that mess up the results, is easy to do too. Even =
if they did understand this, you would still need to evaluate other =
statistical data because statistics are wrong 1% to10% of the time. =
Which means, statistically, 1-10 out of a hundred statistics are not =
correct. :) Furthermore, people that do statistically analysis on their =
own business or organizations usually know what makes them sound good so =
they arrange the test to be designed to give them these results. Many of =
the large companies that were busted for fraud regarding profits did =
this. They would over calculate costs, and under calculate! revenue of =
sales. Then when it came to report the value of the shares, you under =
calculate the costs and over calculate revenue of sales. This provided =
higher earnings then predicted and boom, people buy your stock you sell, =
and your rich :). So backed or not backed, statistics don't mean a thing =
to people that understand them and are not given all the finite details =
of how the calculations were made. But your right, they sound damned =
good don't they! :) By the way, the statistics I used, which I miss read =
because of the wording of the statistic(stated this in my other =
email)was from the book called "Where We Stand" Written by Michael Wolf =
1992. 10,000 are murdered from guns, not 5,000. Thanks!

  Btw, I was not calling=20

  Donovan Arnold

  >From: "John Moss"=20
  >To:=20
  >Subject: [Vision2020] Statistics=20
  >Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:50:51 -0700=20
  >=20
  >Citizens and mathematicians,=20
  >=20
  >In a recent e-mail to Mr. Arnold, Mr. Nieuwsma asked Mr. Arnold to =
back up his statement that "5,000 people are killed every year in this =
country by guns, and most of them were accidents by people that were =
careless and irresponsible." This is a fair request to make.=20
  >=20
  >Over the last week, we have seen a plethera of appeals to statistics =
to prove a point. Mr. Courtney states that MSD's student-to-teacher =
ratio is 15.22, and then Mr. Kaag states that "very few teachers in this =
district are teaching 15.22 students." And Mr. Arnold presents us a =
statistic about careless deaths caused by guns, and then Mr. Nieuwsma =
presents us statisics of guns used in self-defense.=20
  >=20
  >If possible, when appealing to a statistic on this forum, could you =
please try to state where the statistic came from?=20
  >=20
  >As my earlier quip noted, anyone can make up statistics that sound =
good. And, yes, other statistics are valid. So when using statisics, =
please do your best to validate them.=20
  >=20
  >Thank you all,=20
  >=20
  >John Moss=20

-----
  MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* =
_____________________________________________________ List services made =
available by First Step Internet, serving the communities of the Palouse =
since 1994. http://www.fsr.net mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com =
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF
------=_NextPart_000_006D_01C31CB9.5950C960

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Interestingly enough, in Switzerland =
teenage kids=20
compete with adults in regular firearms tournaments with hefty guns, and =
crime=20
is extremely low. Back in 1993, there was not a single armed robbery in =
Bern,=20
the capital. Even the kids have guns, but they're taught how to use them =
at an=20
early age... and how not to use them. In America, parents don't bother - =
they=20
just get trigger locks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>BTW, </FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Hitler bypassed=20
the Swiss in WWII because... they all had guns.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Resource was Congressional Debates =
over gun=20
control</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cordially,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Luke Nieuwsma</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Ddonovanarnold@hotmail.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:donovanarnold@hotmail.com">Donovan Arnold</A> </DIV>
title=3Djohnmoss@moscow.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:johnmoss@moscow.com">johnmoss@moscow.com</A> ; <A=20
  title=3Dvision2020@moscow.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:vision2020@moscow.com">vision2020@moscow.com</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, May 16, 2003 2:52 =
AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Vision2020]=20
Statistics</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>
  <P>Good point John, however,</P>
  <P>Most people don't even know what statistics are, and don't even =
know what=20
  it means anyway. If you don't understand what methods used are, the =
margin or=20
  error, the level of significance, the non response rate, if it was =
voluntary=20
  or involuntary survey, if the alpha level was .5 .1. or .01., the =
wording of=20
  the questions. For all I know they used a Tcalc for a Zcalc=20
  test.&nbsp;Wouldn't that mess up the results, is easy to do too. Even =
if they=20
  did understand this, you would still need to evaluate other =
statistical data=20
  because statistics are wrong 1% to10% of the time. Which means, =
statistically,=20
  1-10 out of a hundred statistics are not correct. :) Furthermore, =
people that=20
  do statistically analysis on their own business or organizations =
usually know=20
  what makes them sound good so they arrange the test to be designed to =
give=20
  them these results. Many of the large companies that were busted for =
fraud=20
  regarding profits did this. They would over calculate costs, and under =

  calculate! revenue&nbsp;of sales. Then when it came to report the =
value of the=20
  shares, you under calculate the costs and over calculate revenue of =
sales.=20
  This provided higher earnings then predicted and boom, people buy your =
stock=20
  you sell, and your rich :). So backed or not backed, statistics don't =
mean a=20
  thing to people that understand them and are not given all the finite =
details=20
  of how the calculations were made. But your right, they sound damned =
good=20
  don't they! :) By the way, the statistics I used, which I miss read =
because of=20
  the wording of the statistic(stated this in my other email)was from =
the book=20
  called "Where We Stand" Written by Michael Wolf 1992. 10,000 are =
murdered from=20
  guns, not 5,000. Thanks!</P>
  <P>Btw, I was not calling </P></DIV>
  <P>Donovan Arnold<BR><BR></P>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "John Moss" <JOHNMOSS@MOSCOW.COM>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Vision2020] Statistics=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:50:51 -0700=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;Citizens and mathematicians,=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;In a recent e-mail to Mr. Arnold, Mr. Nieuwsma asked =
Mr. Arnold=20
  to back up his statement that "5,000 people are killed every year in =
this=20
  country by guns, and most of them were accidents by people that were =
careless=20
  and irresponsible." This is a fair request to make.=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;Over the last week, we have seen a plethera of appeals =
to=20
  statistics to prove a point. Mr. Courtney states that MSD's =
student-to-teacher=20
  ratio is 15.22, and then Mr. Kaag states that "very few teachers in =
this=20
  district are teaching 15.22 students." And Mr. Arnold presents us a =
statistic=20
  about careless deaths caused by guns, and then Mr. Nieuwsma presents =
us=20
  statisics of guns used in self-defense.=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;If possible, when appealing to a statistic on this =
forum, could=20
  you please try to state where the statistic came from?=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;As my earlier quip noted, anyone can make up statistics =
that=20
  sound good. And, yes, other statistics are valid. So when using =
statisics,=20
  please do your best to validate them.=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;Thank you all,=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>&gt;John Moss=20
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV></DIV><BR clear=3Dall>
  <HR>
  MSN 8 with <A href=3D"http://g.msn.com/8HMKENUS/2740??PS=3D">e-mail =
virus=20
  protection service: </A>2 months FREE*=20
made=20
  available by First Step Internet, serving the communities of the =
Palouse since=20
  1994. http://www.fsr.net mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com=20
  =
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006D_01C31CB9.5950C960--