[Vision2020] MSD Student-to-Teacher ratio

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:18:40 -0700

Some, perhaps all, of us are not arguing with whatever
point you are trying to make, but simply stating your
statistics are off.  So, here are some more facts or
explanations of them that you can fit into your argument.

By contract the MSD school board has provided teachers
with one preparation period (no students) per day.
Translating that to a simplified but realistic example:
assume there are 1200 elementary students (the '02-'03
projection was 1197).  At an average of 20 students per
class, there would be 60 classes in session for 6 periods
per day.  They would, of course, require 60 teachers if
each teacher taught every period.  However, to provide a
prep period for every teacher, we need 72 teachers to
cover those 60 classrooms.

You also stated that every district's statistics are biased if
Moscow's are biased.  However, we don't KNOW that is
true or if it IS true, to what extent.  If you really want to
compare, you have to check each individual district to find
 out how many of their "certified staff" (teachers) are NOT
performing classroom work.  Here are three examples
that would NOT exist in every district:  MSD has at least
one teacher performing administrative work (as
previously noted);  MSD has gifted/talented coordinators
who are reported to the state as teachers, but who do not
hold class;  MSD has in many years a teacher who is being
 paid (and counted for statistical purposes) who is on
medical leave at full pay.  And, MSD has the above-noted
prep period.  Not every district would have all those
situations OR in the same proportions as MSD.

(below are additional thoughts, not comments on the
statistics as such)

I'm not sure that it is really necessary to compare MSD to
anywhere else because we simply introduce many more
variables into whatever equation we are constructing.
We can simply look at the reality of what is happening in
MSD and use numbers that accurately reflect each piece
as we look at it.

We can compare MSD numbers to any other single district
 in Idaho and, with some work, probably isolate why and
how that district spends less per student than MSD.  But
that would only tell us what we already know:  we could
cut costs if we reduced expenses in the same areas.  It
seems to me that if someone wants to argue MSD is
spending too much money, they* can look at the
expenditures by area and say, "we should cut this area by
that much because..."  Ideally that would be followed by
information showing or suggesting that MSD can get along
satisfactorily (and legally) with the reduced level of
services or products.

The district's $17M budget is pretty complex.  District
Business Manager (accountant) Sue Driskill has
repeatedly won state awards for her office's thorough,
accurate, and timely work on the budget and other
financial matters.  The numbers are available in eye-
glazing array for anyone who wants to analyze them.

To maintain services and pay increased salaries it is clear
that MSD will be back for a levy increase at some future
date, perhaps as early as next year.  It is unfortunate that
we don't get answers to questions and statistics like those
presented by Mr. Courtney directly from the district.
Superintendent Donicht promised better communication
from that office.  I think this listserve deserves an
occasional answer from her, but as her first year draws to
a close, I don't recall seeing anything responsive from her
on this list.  For $91,000 per year I hoped for better.

Mike Curley

* I understand that it is now grammatically acceptable to
avoid the troublesome she/he by using they, although I
remain uncomfortable with the change (now there's
something unusual, discomfort with change...).