[Vision2020] MSD Student-to-Teacher ratio

macantr@uidaho.edu macantr@uidaho.edu
Fri, 16 May 2003 10:57:28 -0700

The statistics on students per teacher for the
Moscow School District indicate something good about
the MSD: they, and this town, have worked for years
to keep class sizes as small as possible in a state
which gives very little to education.  And for the
sake of our kids' educations, its important at all
times to try to keep those class sizes small.

The reason MSD reported those comparatively
excellent stats of 15.22 students/teacher is because
that's the number.  One of the reasons Don Kaag made
his initial post, was because people (myself
included when I first started paying more attention
to our school district!) often don't realize there
is a difference between "students/teacher" and
average classroom size.  In May the 4 elementary
schools in the district averaged 20.2
students/classroom.  I don't have the numbers for
the junior high and high school, but their average
class size for core courses is substantially higher.

One nice thing about the general "students/teacher"
statistic is that it allows you to compare different
school districts throughout the state.  It seems to
me that the differences between "students/teacher"
numbers and "students/classroom," when used to
compare districts, might reflect either the wise use
of teachers in areas such as those pointed out by
Don Kaag and Mike Curley (band, chorus, special ed,
nonclassroom work, etc.), or they might reflect an
excessive amount of administration.  And that gets
into areas where these statistics aren't of much help.

Mac Cantrell