[Vision2020] Oath for gun ownership/self-government

Mark Rounds ltrwritr@moscow.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 14:53:07 -0700 (PDT)

Mr. Arnold,

Could it be that you are out throwing stones to get things stirred up the
way Reverend Wilson does?  Your knowledge of weapons professed in this
missive seems lacking (or perhaps certain facts are just overlooked).

The weapons used in the overwelming majority of gun related crimes are not
rifles, machine guns, or even shotguns but cheap hand guns.  These have a
long string of regulations reaching back to 1964.  They haven't worked.

What has worked is the fact that the boomer generation has aged and as a
consequence, the average age of the population has increased.  The
overwelming majority of people who commit crimes with guns are male and
under 30.   Since that pool is smaller, the number of crimes is smaller.
Perhaps we should regulate testosterone instead?

It is also part of our system of government in this country that the police
can't pick up folks just because they might commit a crime.  They can only
get the bad guys after they have proved themselves to be really bad.  I
don't think any of us want to live in a country where the cops can pick
people up just because they don't like their looks, politics, gender,
religion or state of mind.  I won't say it doesn't happen but it is
significantly less here than anywhere else in the world.

That being the case, the cops really can't be there to intervene when
something really bad goes down.  They are primarily a deterent to get the
bad guys after the fact and I want it that way for the reasons stated above.
It is in the hands of the victim to defend themselves and that being the
case, I would much prefer my maiden aunt who is frail health but still sharp
as a tack and who lives in a major metropolitian area to be armed.  Silly
me, I bought her the gun she owns as a gift.  Being a good Montana girl, she
hits what she aims at.

I guess what I like least about your stance on the issue (your attempt at
humor aside) is that you presume to know better than many gun owning
individuals whether or not they are fit to own a weapon, and further, you
want to put in a bunch of regulations and government oversight for the whole
process.

I could go one in detail about my rationale butI can hear the groans already
;-)  Suffice it to say that this basic freedom, like that of speech will
always be controversial and like speech, there will be attempts to regulate
it.  While some regulationis needed in both cases (details later if you are
really bored), great care must be taken to safe guard freedom and not trade
if for "security".

Mark ROunds

><P>Speaking of private gun ownership,</P>
><P>I am all for private ownership in places like Idaho, Montana, Alaska,
and other places that are like two hours from the nearest law enforcement
and there are plenty of places to hunt. I don't see how right-wing activists
can preach, let alone sleep at night, that people living in the city have
the right to own an automatic machine gun with armor piercing bullets. The
only purpose for this weapon is murder. Small hand guns, and rifles have
some legitimate uses in many areas of the country. </P></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>There are WAY to many stupid people out there that have guns that should
not. They leave them out for their children to play with. They point them at
people. They shoot their friends and hunting partners. They do not protect
access to their guns and ammunition from others to use in crimes.
Individuals should only be allowed to own a gun if they meet the following
conditions. ( read this with a sense of humor and a pinch of salt)</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>a) They have an IQ of 90 or better</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>b) Take lessons and pass a test on how to properly use and store a gun</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>c) Have a minimum of a High School Diploma</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>d) Physically be able to aim and hit a target</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>e) Pass a common sense test. </P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>f) Sign the following agreement.</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>I ________________ Do solemnly swear to my God, my state, and my nation,
that I will not use this gun as a toy. I will not point it at people. I will
not use it commit a crime. I will not refer to it as a threat against
another person(s)'s life. I will store it in a location where my children,
my children's friends, or other visitors to my home can not access the gun
or ammunition without my direct knowledge and permission. I will not clean
it loaded, or even unloaded, in front of others. I will not discharge the
weapon in a populated area of more then 10 other people with the exception
of a shooting range or other specified area. While hunting I will not shoot
it at any moving or living creature until I am 100% sure it is&nbsp;not
another hunter or other human walking through the woods. I will use common
sense in all my uses of this weapon, I fully understand it can kill, even by
accident. I understand that I will not face legal prosecution for using it
as a defense agai!
> nst my property, life, or the life of my family or neighbors. I fully
understand that violation of this oath is contrary to the very principle of
freedom and a direct violation of the freedoms and liberties of other free
citizens of the United States of America. I am also intelligent enough to
know that this weapon is not capable of defeating or defending against an
even partial attack from the United States&nbsp;Military which is the most
powerful&nbsp;on the planet. If I am found guilty of violating this oath
then I shall be forced to sit on this gun in such a manner as to be able
to&nbsp;pull the trigger, and then do so. : )</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><P>Donovan Arnold</P>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Joshua Nieuwsma <JOSHUAHENDRIK@YAHOO.COM>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;To: vision <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] self-govenment
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;good point. I agree. But any government as big as the US
that would use its full military force would be condemned world-over.
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;-joshua nieuwsma
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;Ron Force <RFORCE@MOSCOW.COM>wrote:
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;The concept of an armed citizenry rolling back the army of a
tyrannical government has been a favorite fantasy of the Rambos of the
right-- and to be perfectly honest, the loonies of the Left in the 70's. The
recent festivities in Iraq should give such true believers pause. Let's face
it, unless you have B-52s and JDAMS, the government has you way outgunned.
The Marines made short work of the fedayeen, and they had mortars and quad
machine guns, neither of which are likely to be on the open market soon.
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;---------------------------------
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;Do you Yahoo!?
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>&gt;The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>
><DIV></DIV>