[Vision2020] Homicidal bombers

Mushroom mushroom@moscow.com
Wed, 14 May 2003 12:44:31 -0700

Douglas wrote:
Calling such
> actions by our enemy "cowardly" is a good way to keep ourselves clueless.

Bingo.

Five or ten or twenty years from now, if terrorists still
hate and attack us, perhaps the question "why?" will come
into vogue, and perhaps an answer will be sought.

Presently the level of rational consideration is not high.

Perhaps terrorists attack us because "they are just bad
sports"? That's not original with me, and it may not have
been original with George Orwell. It showed up in the film
"Brazil," which is a thickly-veiled version of "1984."

Meanwhile, what's the point of trying to change the
traditional meaning of "cowardly"? Meanings of words do
change, but I don't think we'll be any better off for
converting "cowardly" to "bad" or "evil."

Don Coombs