[Vision2020] RE: [Vision2020] RE: [Vision2020] Re: [Vision2 020] Idaho Public Schools 15-year Trends

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Wed, 14 May 2003 07:12:24 -0700

Sunil wrote:
> For myself, I find it
> interesting that on the one hand, you say "The term "liberal"
> is, unfortunately, a very generic term; and it leads to the
> unproductive "left-right" game in discussions," but on the
> other hand are so willing to use it.

Yes, language has its unfortunate drawbacks doesn't it! I'm not the one who
invented the term "liberal". As I mentioned before, Nolan’s insight was that
the major difference between various political philosophies (the real
defining element in what a person believes politically) is the amount of
government control over human action that is advocated.

Conservatives and those on the right tend to favor more freedom in economic
areas (example: a free market), but more government control in social areas
(example: censorship). Liberals and those on the left tend to favor more
freedom in personal areas (example: no military draft), but more government
activism or control in economics (example: a government-mandated minimum
wage).

Of course, "liberals" don't fit that category much any more. As of late,
they have shifted into litigation mode to hamper other's personal freedoms.
For example -- look at those trying to outlaw Oreos in California. So many
"liberals" have moved into an authoritarian mindset.

But, since I'm an equal opportunity slammer, the "conservatives" don't fit
their economic mold much any longer either.

Libertarians favor both personal and economic freedom, and oppose most (or
all) government intervention in both areas. Like (some) conservatives,
libertarians believe that people should be free to make economic choices for
themselves. Like (some) liberals, libertarians believe in personal freedom.

Authoritarians favor a lot of government control in both the personal and
economic areas. Unfortunately, that's where both the Democrats and the
Republicans have moved to.

Tell you what, Sunil. You tell me where you stand economically and I'll call
you by what you are? Are you in favor of private ownership, profit,
competition, and individualism? Or do you prefer public ownership, and
government control for the common good?

Then tell me where you stand on personal rights and responsibilities and
I'll call you by that title as well.

Feel free to take the world's smallest political quiz
(http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html) and let me know where you stand. I'm
more than willing to call a liberal a liberal!  :)

Best,
Dale