[Vision2020] RE: [Vision2020] Re: [Vision2020] Idaho Public Schools 15-year Trends

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 12:16:14 -0700

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Dale, </P></DIV>
<P>I will leave it to Mark Rounds and Dan Carscallen to address the issue of whether they have backed off their principles by supporting public education.&nbsp; For myself, I find it interesting that on the one hand, you say "The term "liberal" is, unfortunately, a very generic term; and it leads to the unproductive "left-right" game in discussions," but on the other hand are so willing to use it.</P>
<P>You describe your definition of a 'liberal' as standard:</P></DIV>
<P>'Bottom line: my term "liberal" is used in the standard sense of someone saying they want to allow for personal self-determination, but they want to tax everyone else so that they can control how self-determined others may be.'</P>
<P>I think there are plenty of liberals, and probably at least a couple of conservatives, that&nbsp;would argue that this is not a standard definition.&nbsp; That you&nbsp;consider it standard explains how you end up taking your positions.&nbsp; The use of that definition certainly makes it easier for you to set up straw-man arguments, though all you can really do then is set up false dichotomies.</P>
<P>I think the bottom line is that 'liberals' and 'conservatives' in this country and in our community generally support public education.&nbsp; They fight about how the schools should be set up and funded, and over what should be taught in them, and over who should be on the school board; if you're saying that all conservatives must oppose public education, then your quarrel with them is going to be fun to observe.&nbsp; </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Sunil</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;</P>