[Vision2020] University of Idaho

Mushroom mushroom@moscow.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 10:27:18 -0700

Tom Hansen wrote:

> The Idaho State Board of Education considers the UI to be in a peer group of
> 15 other universities in the U.S.   It is a very respectable group of
> schools and 14 of the 15 play 1-A football.  One of the arguments the UI
> administration has made is that competing in 1-A football is typical of
> educational institutions in their peer group.
> As most of you know, three of these schools are on UI's 2003 schedule (WSU,
> USU, NMSU),  five have been on recent UI football schedules (Arizona,
> Wyoming, MSU, Nevada, CSU), and one (OSU) is on future UI schedules.  If UI
> dropped back to 1-AA football, its scheduling of peer institutions would be
> limited to Montana State.  After seeing the names of the peer schools, the
> point made by the UI administration made more sense.

If you pick schools that play 1-A football to make up a peer
group, then you can make that point, I guess. It's worth
noting that most of the schools mentioned spend a lot more
than UI on academics, even if you take those schools larger
enrollments into account. I suspect that only two of the
schools mentioned (I guess there are others not mentioned)
aren't a big cut above the UI on average faculty salary, and
they are also the only two that UI would stand a chance of
defeating in football.

Go Vandals -- to a conference with some other schools in
this quarter of the country.

Don Coombs