[Vision2020] What's in a name?

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Sun, 11 May 2003 18:24:15 EDT

--part1_110.236905b0.2bf0278f_boundary

Visionaries:
Perhaps Doug can help us understand what ties Christ Church maintains with
the Presbyterian Church to support his email claims to Presbyterianism.
For example, is Christ Church affiliated with the largest Presbyterian group
in America? The Presbyterian Church U.S.A claims 2.5 million members, 11,200
congregations, and 21,000 ordained ministers. <http://www.pcusa.org/>
Somehow, I don't think that's a good fit for Christ Church.
Maybe Christ Church is associated with the Presbyterian Church in America,
[notice the subtle shift from "Church in" to "Church of"] which claims it is
"Faithful to the scriptures, True to the Reformed Faith and Obedient to the
Great Commission of Jesus Christ" http://www.pcanet.org/  Nope, Christ Church
is not in their directory.
How 'bout The Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) which "is steadfastly
committed to the glory of God. She has seen his hand guide, protect, and even
reprove her in the short sixty-plus years of her existence. She was born out
of persecution for the sake of the gospel, nurtured in adversity, and
strengthened as she sought to fulfill her Master's call. She strives to keep
her eyes fixed on Christ Jesus, her Savior and Lord. By the strength of his
Spirit she endeavors to live righteously in full obedience to his Word, her
only rule for faith and life." http://www.opc.org/  Another goose egg, at
least according to their congregational directory.
Refusing to give up, I searched the key words "Reformed Presbyterians" in a
futile attempt to connect Christ Church with the Reformed Presbyterian Church
of North America - Christ Church is not listed in among their associated
congregations. I guess the heresy charges brought last summer by The Reformed
Presbyterian Church of the United States against Christ Church last summer
might be the reason for the omission.
http://www.reformedpresbyterian.org/congregations/cong_map.php
Turning my attention to the international Presbyterian fellowship I thought
the Free Presbyterian Church might hold the answer.  They have a lovely story
to tell about their origins.
"On St. Patrick's Day, 1951, a new Biblical witness for Christ was born in
the village of Crossgar, County Down, Northern Ireland. As a result of the
high-handed actions of the Down Presbytery, the elders of the local
Presbyterian Church were banned from using their church hall for a Gospel
mission. When the leaders refused to acquiesce, they were suspended. All this
took place less than twenty-four hours before the mission was due to
commence. Those elders could not go back to their church without denying or
compromising the gospel. So they decided to leave a denomination that
permitted dances and parties of various kinds in its church halls but which,
in this case, banned the gospel of Jesus Christ.  With the help of the Rev.
Ian Paisley, their guest evangelist, they formed the Presbytery of the Free
Presbyterian Church of Ulster. http://www.freepres.org/about.asp#
Ah ha, here was something about the difficulties of interchurch conflict that
might be resonate with Christ Church elders. Although the Free Church has
daughter congregations in North America - they have, to date, not invited
Christ Church into fellowship.
So, Doug, to use your own phrase, "By what standard do you claim Presbyterian
affiliation?" Does calling yourself a Presbyterian make you one? If I were
united with a genuine Presbyterian community, I would be a little nervous
about that.  What if some self-appointed fringe group misappropriated the
name of my faith community for their own ends?  Coincidence....I don't think
so.
Rose Huskey

--part1_110.236905b0.2bf0278f_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Visionaries:<BR>
Perhaps Doug can help us understand what ties Christ Church maintains with t=
he Presbyterian Church to support his email claims to Presbyterianism.<BR>
For example, is Christ Church affiliated with the largest Presbyterian group=
 in America? The Presbyterian Church U.S.A claims 2.5 million members, 11,20=
0 congregations, and 21,000 ordained ministers. &lt;http://www.pcusa.org/&gt=
;&nbsp; Somehow, I don't think that's a good fit for Christ Church.<BR>
Maybe Christ Church is associated with the Presbyterian Church in America, [=
notice the subtle shift from "Church in" to "Church of"] which claims it is=20=
"Faithful to the scriptures, True to the Reformed Faith and Obedient to the=20=
Great Commission of Jesus Christ" http://www.pcanet.org/&nbsp; Nope, Christ=20=
Church is not in their directory.<BR>
How 'bout The Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) which "is steadfastly commi=
tted to the glory of God. She has seen his hand guide, protect, and even rep=
rove her in the short sixty-plus years of her existence. She was born out of=
 persecution for the sake of the gospel, nurtured in adversity, and strength=
ened as she sought to fulfill her Master's call. She strives to keep her eye=
s fixed on Christ Jesus, her Savior and Lord. By the strength of his Spirit=20=
she endeavors to live righteously in full obedience to his Word, her only ru=
le for faith and life." http://www.opc.org/&nbsp; Another goose egg, at leas=
t according to their congregational directory.<BR>
Refusing to give up, I searched the key words "Reformed Presbyterians" in a=20=
futile attempt to connect Christ Church with the Reformed Presbyterian Churc=
h of North America - Christ Church is not listed in among their associated c=
ongregations. I guess the heresy charges brought last summer by The Reformed=
 Presbyterian Church of the United States against Christ Church last summer=20=
might be the reason for the omission. http://www.reformedpresbyterian.org/co=
ngregations/cong_map.php<BR>
Turning my attention to the international Presbyterian fellowship I thought=20=
the Free Presbyterian Church might hold the answer.&nbsp; They have a lovely=
 story to tell about their origins.<BR>
"On St. Patrick's Day, 1951, a new Biblical witness for Christ was born in t=
he village of Crossgar, County Down, Northern Ireland. As a result of the hi=
gh-handed actions of the Down Presbytery, the elders of the local Presbyteri=
an Church were banned from using their church hall for a Gospel mission. Whe=
n the leaders refused to acquiesce, they were suspended. All this took place=
 less than twenty-four hours before the mission was due to commence. Those e=
lders could not go back to their church without denying or compromising the=20=
gospel. So they decided to leave a denomination that permitted dances and pa=
rties of various kinds in its church halls but which, in this case, banned t=
he gospel of Jesus Christ.&nbsp; With the help of the Rev. Ian Paisley, thei=
r guest evangelist, they formed the Presbytery of the Free Presbyterian Chur=
ch of Ulster. http://www.freepres.org/about.asp#&nbsp; <BR>
Ah ha, here was something about the difficulties of interchurch conflict tha=
t might be resonate with Christ Church elders. Although the Free Church has=20=
daughter congregations in North America - they have, to date, not invited Ch=
rist Church into fellowship.<BR>
So, Doug, to use your own phrase, "By what standard do you claim Presbyteria=
n affiliation?" Does calling yourself a Presbyterian make you one? If I were=
 united with a genuine Presbyterian community, I would be a little nervous a=
bout that.&nbsp; What if some self-appointed fringe group misappropriated th=
e name of my faith community for their own ends?&nbsp; Coincidence....I don'=
t think so.&nbsp; <BR>
Rose Huskey <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_110.236905b0.2bf0278f_boundary--