[Vision2020] Honking the horn on the General Lee

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Sun, 11 May 2003 13:09:30 -0700

Doug sez:

>The kind of mind that cannot see nobility in slave-owners like George
>Washington, Thomas Jefferson, >and Robert E. Lee is the kind of mind that
>cannot see nobility anywhere.

Ah, I see the circus is in town again.  That explains all the elephant crap.

Rather than waste our time looking for nobility in slave-owners (a task akin
to looking for clean sheets in a brothel), I would like to suggest that Doug
write all of his original thoughts about history, religion, and philosophy
on the back of a postcard and mail it to The Dukes of Hazzard fan club.  I’m
sure those who enjoy watching the hilarious antics of Boss Hogg and Daisy
will be most appreciative.  After all, what could be more fun than a rousing
defense of the old Confederacy written by a preacher from Idaho?  Well,
perhaps a twenty-five minute dance remix of “Dixie” sung by Randy Weaver.

And while Doug’s busy with his renunciation of the Emancipation
Proclamation, perhaps the rest of us should take some time to ponder how it
is that once again the three-ring circus of Logos, New Saint Andrews, and
the Canon Press has managed to hijack the public discourse.  What with the
extensive coverage Doug gets for his various business and entertainment
ventures from the Daily News and the Lewiston Morning Tribune, not to
mention the endless dissection of his every thought and deed on this list,
we have all essentially become his unpaid carnival barkers.  Doug says
something outrageous, ridiculous, or inflammatory, and, gee, we can’t
resist.  Step right up and get a load of Jo-Jo the dog-faced boy!  What a
deal!  The public eye!  The free publicity!  Like P. T. Barnum, Doug just
proves that there’s a sucker born every minute.

Now, I’m not suggesting that we end this discussion.  I enjoy a good Vision
2020 Smackdown just as much as the next email crank, but I think we should
acknowledge the law of unintended consequences.  Any stranger signing onto
this list would think Moscow was Falls Church, Virginia.  In fact, Doug
Wilson does not loom over this town like the colossus of Jerry Falwell.  I
suspect that the entire population of Christ Church wouldn’t fill the
vestibule at the Church of the Nazarene.  Louder is not bigger.  What was
the number Doug laid claim to during last summer’s battle of the breast,
850?  Counting all men, women, and children, that’s a grand (or, rather,
aggrandized) total of two hundred families.  We’re not talking about the
Borg, here, folks.  Resistance is not futile.  We will not be assimilated.

Which isn’t to say that we shouldn’t fight.  When religion encroaches on the
secular sphere, we should all (wo)man the barricades separating church and
state.  But purely internal matters at Christ Church—the day to day running
of the hive mind, as it were—are of no more than prurient interest.

I hope the atheists will forgive me if I share with you a parable.  I’ve got
a three year-old who’s taken to picking his nose.  He does it all over the
place, in stores, in restaurants, at the dinner table.  I find it absolutely
revolting, but when I tell him to stop, he laughs.  Time out doesn’t work;
neither does argument, cajoling, or threat.  What’s best, I’ve discovered,
is to ignore him.  Unless he tries to wipe a booger on me, I just let it go.

Get a Kleenex.  Now blow.  Thank you.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment