[Vision2020] Logos School

Art Deco deco@moscow.com
Sun, 11 May 2003 08:18:59 -0700

Re: Who are the bad guys?

It seems true in most conflicts there are persons on both sides that have
what most would describe as undesirable traits.  That certainly is true of
the issues that loomed large at the time of the civil war.

That war is over.

The difference between then and now is that many from both the south and
north have learned from mistakes made.  Apparently others have not.  It is
called "living in the past."

We need to judge historical figures on the basis of the historical cultural
milieu, their traits, and their lasting contribution to humankind.  I'm
afraid the confederates revered by the Christ Church cult such Robert E Lee
do not fare well under this standard especially considering some of Lee's
private conduct.  Many heroes have chinks in their armor and many historical
figures have had huge ones in the context of today's perspective.  However,
when we judge on balance of their times and contributions some are still
heroes while others are not.

But the core of the current debate is not about historical times and heroes,
it is about what values are more valid now given advancements in human
knowledge and experience.

I submit the values of Robert E Lee  and confederates are not only limiting,
anti-humanity, superstition based but at odds with the 150 years of human
experience and knowledge quest that have elapsed.  Surprising to many of the
cult's leaders, the ability to function well in society and make significant
contributions to humankind is not a function of gender, race, religious
preference, or sexual orientation.

With regard to the cult, again what comes to mind is the graffiti found on a
segregated church: Hate lives here, not Jesus.

Wayne Fox