[Vision2020] Logos History

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 19:30:12 EDT

--part1_107.22cc7b2c.2beee584_boundary

Dear Visionaries,
A not so brief response to Doug Wilson's remarks concerning the history=20
curriculum at Logos School.  Doug has made no secret of his Neo-Confederate=20
leanings. Actually, in his smug, self-congratulating way I imagine he is=20
proud of them. Doug has frequently invited the notorious Steve Wilkins to=20
speak at Christ Church/New St. Andrew's history seminars.  Doug and Mr.=20
Wilkins have co-authored books and pamphlets on southern history - remember=20
the slavery debates on Vision 20/20?  Paraphrasing Doug, "as long as it is=20
not race-based, it is biblically supportable." Further information on his=20
Neo-Confederate thinking (blended with a strong component of evangelical=20
spin) can be found by reading Southern Slavery As It Was by Steve Wilkins an=
d=20
Douglas Wilson.  The following review gives a textual taste of the historic=20
garbage they wistfully imagine is an accurate representation of the noble=20
Anglo-Saxon, slave-owning culture of the old South.
"How is it that a pervasively Christian culture could have supported slavery=
?=20
While opposing the South=E2=80=99s abuses and racism, this essay seeks to co=
rrect=20
some of the gross slanders of that culture. It explains Scripture=E2=80=99s=20=
defense=20
of a form of slavery against evangelicals who are embarrassed by it."
Canon Press, an associated business of Christ Church, published this booklet=
.=20
 They also publish additional efforts by Mr. Wilkins. It is difficult to=20
imagine, given such lengthy professional, social, and religious ties, that=20
the Wilkins version of history is not supported and expounded at Christ=20
Church. (Doug, I know that you will correct me if this intellectual jump is=20
too great.) =20
A good starting place for an understanding of the Wilkins/Wilson theory of=20
history is available at http://www.patriotist.com/about.htm. Steve Wilkins i=
s=20
a contributor.  Do you also contribute to it Doug? The Patriotist philosophy=
=20
includes the following, rather startling, statements:
"In the pages of The Patriotist, you will find the latest in conservative=20
commentary, resources for independent living, faith-building materials, and=20
tools for positive political action. You will NOT find anything that fits in=
=20
with the current definitions of 'tolerance' and ' We think that: The laws an=
d=20
traditions upon which this land [America] was settled are the result of=20
almost 2000 years of Western Christian civilisation, [sic. I wish these guys=
=20
could spell] which is a foundation of truth, and not a 'melting pot' of=20
sundry ideas from all four corners of the globe. The Founding Fathers,=20
through their drafting of the Constitution, left us a Republic of individual=
=20
sovereign nations. The federal government was intended to be a government fo=
r=20
the States, and should have little to do with the lives of the people who=20
live in the States. The conflict commonly referred to as the 'Civil War' was=
=20
an unbridled campaign of terror aimed at a group of States that had the=20
audacity to form a government more suited to their needs than the federal=20
empire. The outcome of this war fundamentally changed the nature of the=20
relationship between the federal government and the citizens of the States.=20
We reject Lincoln and Roosevelt [FDR] - we esteem Washington and Hoover. We=20
reject the idea that our current federal government has a permanent monopoly=
=20
on running the Union. It is but an association of its member States, and can=
=20
be dissolved and replaced at the casting of a vote and the stroke of a pen.=20
Our strength comes from our similarities, not our 'diversity.' This used to=20
be a Christian land - our problems stem from the fact that such is no longer=
=20
the case. "

It is my sense that not only does Doug Wilson agree with this mission=20
statement, but so would a successful history curriculum director at Logos. =20
But surprise us Doug, and disassociate yourself and Logos from this=20
crackpottery.

Steve Wilkins, a pastor cum historian, offers his insights to the parents of=
=20
Christian home schoolers.  He writes, tapes, and sells history from his own=20
perspective.  His tapes offer a 350 year review of North American history=20
which is factually incorrect, personally offensive, and intellectually odiou=
s=20
to those of us on the outside of the Bubba network.  In his own words=20
(touting his product) Mr. Wilkins says:
"This audio series of lectures surveys history chronologically and most=20
importantly interprets history from a Biblical, Christian perspective.=20
Documentation of Christian faith and motivations behind the events and=20
personalities of the past are discussed to give a true, complete history of=20
our Godly heritage. Including God and his providential hand in our nation ha=
s=20
pointed out much misinformation that I have learned in my own education. =20
We have been brainwashed. You, me, and nearly everyone in this land and who=20
has attended school in this century. Modern, unbelieving historians have=20
hidden the truth of our nation's history from us (sometimes innocently in=20
ignorance, but often maliciously in a bold-faced attempt to deceive). Now,=20
they are seeking to do the same thing to our children. As a result, American=
=20
Christians have been (and are being!) robbed of a glorious heritage. This=20
must not go on unhindered. The future of our nation depends in large measure=
,=20
upon a right understanding of our past. America: The First 350 Years is not=20
merely a survey of American history - it gives you an interpretation of our=20
history from an unabashed Biblical perspective. You are not only told what=20
happened, but why - and, what it means for us today."=20

If Steve Wilkins view of history is being taught at Logos, (tell us it isn't=
=20
so, Doug) the Logos students are being robbed.  Or, more to the point, their=
=20
parents are.  But they must be used to it by now.  After all, by the time on=
e=20
gives 10% to the preacher, pays tuition at Logos, and frequents Christ Churc=
h=20
businesses it probably would be more convenient just to endorse your paychec=
k=20
and turn it over to the church elders.

Nonetheless, stuck in my liberal, progressive, secular, multicultural,=20
diverse world, I firmly believe that it is absolutely up to Logos parents an=
d=20
administrators how they choose to educate (or not educate) their children. =20
The upshot is that teaching loony, neo-Confederate baloney mixed with=20
sectarian bias isn't illegal, just heartbreaking. =20
Rosemary Huskey

--part1_107.22cc7b2c.2beee584_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dear Visionaries,<BR>
A not so brief response to Doug Wilson's remarks concerning the history curr=
iculum at Logos School.&nbsp; Doug has made no secret of his Neo-Confederate=
 leanings. Actually, in his smug, self-congratulating way I imagine he is pr=
oud of them. Doug has frequently invited the notorious Steve Wilkins to spea=
k at Christ Church/New St. Andrew's history seminars.&nbsp; Doug and Mr. Wil=
kins have co-authored books and pamphlets on southern history - remember the=
 slavery debates on Vision 20/20?&nbsp; Paraphrasing Doug, "as long as it is=
 not race-based, it is biblically supportable." Further information on his N=
eo-Confederate thinking (blended with a strong component of evangelical spin=
) can be found by reading <I>Southern Slavery As It Was </I>by Steve Wilkins=
 and Douglas Wilson.&nbsp; The following review gives a textual taste of the=
 historic garbage they wistfully imagine is an accurate representation of th=
e noble Anglo-Saxon, slave-owning culture of the old South.<BR>
"How is it that a pervasively Christian culture could have supported slavery=
? While opposing the South=E2=80=99s abuses and racism, this essay seeks to=20=
correct some of the gross slanders of that culture. It explains Scripture=
=E2=80=99s defense of a form of slavery against evangelicals who are embarra=
ssed by it."<BR>
Canon Press, an associated business of Christ Church, published this booklet=
.&nbsp; They also publish additional efforts by Mr. Wilkins. It is difficult=
 to imagine, given such lengthy professional, social, and religious ties, th=
at the Wilkins version of history is not supported and expounded at Christ C=
hurch. (Doug, I know that you will correct me if this intellectual jump is t=
oo great.)&nbsp; <BR>
A good starting place for an understanding of the Wilkins/Wilson theory of h=
istory is available at http://www.patriotist.com/about.htm. Steve Wilkins is=
 a contributor.&nbsp; Do you also contribute to it Doug? The Patriotist phil=
osophy includes the following, rather startling, statements:<BR>
"In the pages of The Patriotist, you will find the latest in conservative co=
mmentary, resources for independent living, faith-building materials, and to=
ols for positive political action. You will NOT find anything that fits in w=
ith the current definitions of 'tolerance' and ' We think that: The laws and=
 traditions upon which this land [America] was settled are the result of alm=
ost 2000 years of Western Christian civilisation, [sic. I wish these guys co=
uld spell] which is a foundation of truth, and not a 'melting pot' of sundry=
 ideas from all four corners of the globe. The Founding Fathers, through the=
ir drafting of the Constitution, left us a Republic of individual sovereign=20=
nations. The federal government was intended to be a government for the Stat=
es, and should have little to do with the lives of the people who live in th=
e States. The conflict commonly referred to as the 'Civil War' was an unbrid=
led campaign of terror aimed at a group of States that had the audacity to f=
orm a government more suited to their needs than the federal empire. The out=
come of this war fundamentally changed the nature of the relationship betwee=
n the federal government and the citizens of the States. We reject Lincoln a=
nd Roosevelt [FDR] - we esteem Washington and Hoover. We reject the idea tha=
t our current federal government has a permanent monopoly on running the Uni=
on. It is but an association of its member States, and can be dissolved and=20=
replaced at the casting of a vote and the stroke of a pen. Our strength come=
s from our similarities, not our 'diversity.' This used to be a Christian la=
nd - our problems stem from the fact that such is no longer the case. "<BR>
<BR>
It is my sense that not only does Doug Wilson agree with this mission statem=
ent, but so would a successful history curriculum director at Logos.&nbsp; B=
ut surprise us Doug, and disassociate yourself and Logos from this crackpott=
ery.<BR>
<BR>
Steve Wilkins, a pastor cum historian, offers his insights to the parents of=
 Christian home schoolers.&nbsp; He writes, tapes, and sells history from hi=
s own perspective.&nbsp; His tapes offer a 350 year review of North American=
 history which is factually incorrect, personally offensive, and intellectua=
lly odious to those of us on the outside of the Bubba network.&nbsp; In his=20=
own words (touting his product) Mr. Wilkins says:<BR>
"This audio series of lectures surveys history chronologically and most impo=
rtantly interprets history from a Biblical, Christian perspective. Documenta=
tion of Christian faith and motivations behind the events and personalities=20=
of the past are discussed to give a true, complete history of our Godly heri=
tage. Including God and his providential hand in our nation has pointed out=20=
much misinformation that I have learned in my own education.&nbsp; <BR>
We have been brainwashed. You, me, and nearly everyone in this land and who=20=
has attended school in this century. Modern, unbelieving historians have hid=
den the truth of our nation's history from us (sometimes innocently in ignor=
ance, but often maliciously in a bold-faced attempt to deceive). Now, they a=
re seeking to do the same thing to our children. As a result, American Chris=
tians have been (and are being!) robbed of a glorious heritage. This must no=
t go on unhindered. The future of our nation depends in large measure, upon=20=
a right understanding of our past. America: The First 350 Years is not merel=
y a survey of American history - it gives you an interpretation of our histo=
ry from an unabashed Biblical perspective. You are not only told what happen=
ed, but why - and, what it means for us today." <BR>
<BR>
If Steve Wilkins view of history is being taught at Logos, (tell us it isn't=
 so, Doug) the Logos students are being robbed.&nbsp; Or, more to the point,=
 their parents are.&nbsp; But they must be used to it by now.&nbsp; After al=
l, by the time one gives 10% to the preacher, pays tuition at Logos, and fre=
quents Christ Church businesses it probably would be more convenient just to=
 endorse your paycheck and turn it over to the church elders.<BR>
<BR>
Nonetheless, stuck in my liberal, progressive, secular, multicultural, diver=
se world, I firmly believe that it is absolutely up to Logos parents and adm=
inistrators how they choose to educate (or not educate) their children.&nbsp=
; The upshot is that teaching loony, neo-Confederate baloney mixed with sect=
arian bias isn't illegal, just heartbreaking.&nbsp; <BR>
Rosemary Huskey<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_107.22cc7b2c.2beee584_boundary--