[Vision2020] Logos School

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 10:12:12 -0700

Dear visionaries,

A brief response to Bill London. The reason Tom Garfield's response did not
interact with the controversy and criticism is that from the very beginning
(Vera's comments) the facts have been consistently misrepresented. Logos
School found itself in an editorial inkbath created by journalistic
ineptitude, and in contrast to this, Tom simply stated what our history has
been, and what our mission actually is.

With regard to the "denial of leadership opportunities to women," Bill's
formulation *again* misrepresents what actually happened. Why should we
continue to explain this when the explanations are not heard? I suggest
that Bill formulate what we have already said in this regard. When he can
state accurately what we have already said, then perhaps we could debate
the question itself. But until he knows what the question is, we should
best save our breath for cooling our porridge.

The Civil War: Logos School teaches the history of that war, the causes of
it, the sin on both sides, and the nobility on both sides. It was not a
battle between light and darkness, elves and orcs. If you believe
otherwise, in that simplistic, progressivist kind of way, the best we can
do is leave you with your daily Orwellian two minutes of hate. The kind of
mind that cannot see nobility in slave-owners like George Washington,
Thomas Jefferson, and Robert E. Lee is the kind of mind that cannot see
nobility anywhere. The kind of mind that cannot see fanaticism in the
abolitionists and the Carolingian fire-eaters is the kind of mind that is
content with its own fanaticism.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson

Bill London said:
I could take the administration of the Logos School much more seriously
if they were more straightforward in their public pronouncements.
For example, the editorial Friday in the Daily News by the Logos
principal.
That "editorial" did not respond to, or refer to, the published
contraversies surrounding that school, like their denial of leadership
opportunities to women or their honoring of the slave-holding American
Confederacy.
Instead, we were treated to a piece of pure fluff, a pat-on-the-back
kind of feature that would have been more appropriately an
advertisement.
BL