[Vision2020] Re: Vision2020 digest, Vol 1 #355 - 12 msgs

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:39:11 -0700

Perhaps you do not understand the concept of "average", Mr. Danahy.
Focusing on an evenly distributed Gaussian curve (commonly used for
statistics) reveals (as it should) that approximately 50% are below the mean
(average) and 50% are above the mean.  Thus, with 29% to 38% of MSD's
students below the average (mean), this means that 62% to 71% are above the
average.

Do the math, Mr. Danahy,

Tom Hansen

-----Original Message-----
From: John Danahy [mailto:jdanahy@turbonet.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 4:29 PM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Re: Vision2020 digest, Vol 1 #355 - 12 msgs

Hmmm!   Perhaps I am confused, but I fail to see how "reading at grade
level" equates to above or below average.  Not only does "reading at
grade level" have nothing to do with reading averages, but to try and
equate a 30% fail rate as something positive by once again referencing
non existent "national averages" is to accept that teachers should only
teach 70% of students to read.

Actually, reading at grade level should not be considered average, but
lowest acceptable result.  Standards are supposed to be the lowest bar,
and expectations should be to raise the bar from standards!

John