[Vision2020] Mike Price SI story

Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 16:17:13 -0700

Thanks to the NCAA, the Bowl Championship Series, and television money, 1-AA
Football and the Big Sky are not long for this world. The UI did an
extensive analysis and report on this.  Here's a short summary:

"4. Why don’t we just return to the Big Sky Conference and I-AA play?

A 2001 NCAA study affirmed our 1994 decision. The average NCAA Division I-AA
athletic program operates at a $3.4 million loss, which is a 55 percent
increase over a similar study done in 1999. Revenues increased at the I-AA
level by 6.3%, but expenses soared by 25.9%. And it will get worse. In the
future very few, if any, Division I-AA institutions will be able to play I-A
teams for money games. And the revenue generated within Division I-AA is
simply not enough to keep a program in the black. Admittedly, it was an
expensive decision in 1994 to step up to Division I-A. It’s expensive to
stay. But it’s more expensive to leave. Staying the course in Division I-A
is our least cost option."

Acutally, a lower-cost option is to drop football, and go to Division II for
other sports, but not many UI Presidents could get away with that.

Ron Force	      	  rforce@moscow.com
Moscow Idaho USA