[Vision2020] Mike Price SI story

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846@hotmail.com
Wed, 07 May 2003 11:13:46 -0700

The new issue of Sports Illustrated details the exploits of former long-time
WSU coach Mike Price, now ex short-term Alabama coach.  It's rather sordid.
One can argue that he broke no laws, that he just used incredibly bad
judgment, and did not deserve to lose his job.  I don't know.  What is
unsettling is how incredibly important a man who coaches a game has become
in this country.  How is a coach worth a 10 million dollar, 7 year contract
in a state like Alabama, where college football stadiums are being expanded
while the education budget is being slashed?  Here in the northwest, Rick
Neuheisel, the UW football coach, is the highest paid state employee.  I
believe, but I'm not certain, that the Boise State football coach is the
highest paid Idaho state employee.  I'm a major sports fan myself, but how
did college athletics become, to many in this country, more important than
college academics?  How do we return collegiate sports to a more sane level
of prestige?

                                                             Carl Westberg
Jr.