[Vision2020] tax

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:45:42 -0800

Shirley Ringo,

Bill London wrote:
> The Idaho Legislature is finally getting down to the issue of
> balancing the state's budget--and the question is how.....
> You asked for opinions from constituents about what tax to
> raise to continue funding vital state services.... I urge you
> to look carefully at the sales tax exemptions now offered by
> the state to farmers, irrigators, business, etc.  Those were
> gifts to political cronies that should be eliminated now.

I would encourage you to *not* to raise taxes! The Idaho State tax has
increased at more than three times (3x) the rate of inflation over the last
16 years!

The State has gotten used to a bloating, overspending budget. Do as other
states have done (e.g., Colorado and Michigan) and take fiscal
responsibility. For heavens sake, don't raise the budget at a higher rate
than GDP or inflation! No nation has *ever* been taxed into prosperity!

> Secondly, I prefer raising the income tax to raising the
> sales tax. Sales taxes are the most unfair taxes. thanks BL

A sales tax equally taxes all; a progressive income tax is manipulated by
social engineers to tax people at different rates based on their personal
bias. Our tax-and-spend liberals in Moscow have curiously redefined the
meaning of the word "fair" to mean "unequal".

Sincerely,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho