[Vision2020] Your Position on the War in Iraq

Troy Merrill troy1@moscow.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:55:48 -0800

Mr. Hansen,

It is true the U.S. does not have a record of conquering and holding
territory.  But there are more ways to maintain an empire than conquest and
occupation.  The evidence is clear that we have been very willing to use
force in support of "National" interests.  It is also evident those
interests are frequently closely associated with the interests of large
corporations whose assets/profits are being threatened.

Also I refer to actions by this 'regime' other than its conduct abroad.  The
patriot act, suspension of habeus corpus, secret courts, targeting ethic
groups for wide scale indescriminate questioning.  Do you believe the
average German in 1932 anticipated the horror the Nazi's would visit on the
world?  No, they were blinded by calls for national unity, the need to
protect the homeland.

The past history of a nation is not a sure predictor of future actions.  I
believe the Bush regime is dangerous, to the world and to us as a nation, I
just don't know how dangerous and that I find very troubling.

Troy Merrill