[Vision2020] MSD financial condition

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:59:50 -0800

I've made it a point not to respond to Mr. Hansen any more, since, like his
economic thinking demonstrates, he's always off by 50 percent.

But his math is so outrageous that I cannot let his ignorance stand.

> It was previously stated that the current school budget is at
> 170% of the
> 1987/1988 budget.  Allowing 5% for inflation over that
> 15-year period and you
> will find that 170% is extremely low.  It should be over 200%
> of the 1987/1988
> budget based on an incremental increase of 5% each year for 15 years.
>
> Based on 5% inflation, $1,000 in 1987/1988 is comparable to
> $2,078.93 now.

Did you take Econ at UI? Math doesn't work that way.

You can run the real numbers over at:
http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Inflation_Rate/InflationCalculator.asp

The actual inflation from Jan 88 to Jan 03 was 57.04%

The actual increase in Idaho State Education Spending was 168% ($985.5M -
$367M).

> No wonder the school district is suffering.  Thanks, Mr.
> Courtney.  I am
> definitely voting in favor of the next levy.  Sounds like
> they can use the help.

Enjoy burying your head in the sand. You would support such an increase for
a student enrollment that has only gone up 16 percent. I expected nothing
less.

The question is -- will people who really wrestle with the data and think
about it (as opposed to responding emotionally and ignorantly) deal with it?

Dale