[Vision2020] Not quite so easy

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:59:55 -0800

At 07:38 AM 3/25/2003 -0800, Carl Westberg wrote:
>In the weeks and months leading up to the war, the Bush administration
>managed to convince many, and perhaps most, of the American populace that
>this campaign would be like a hot knife through butter.  The knife seems
>to be cold, and the butter would appear to be frozen solid.  Of course our
>military might will eventually prevail, but at what cost?

At the onset of every war, "The troops will be home by Christmas."  U.S.
casualties vs. Iraqi casualties; U.S. advance vs. Iraqi defense/retreat
indicate that this war will indeed be a push-over.  At least in its
conventional phase.  If, as military sources indicate, 200,000 troops will
be required to occupy Iraq after a "victory," that is when U.S. starts to
see genuine losses in this war.  U.S. troops will be targets for guerilla
fighters of (at least) three different ethnic backgrounds.  America will
have indeed found a way to unite Iraqis in a common goal.

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843

Tel: 208 883-0642