[Vision2020] Tuition for a public education?

John Danahy jdanahy@turbonet.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:17:17 -0800

I did send an e-mail off to the district to try and get some answers to
the questions posted here and others.  No answer yet.  Some of my
questions were regarding the quality of summer school classes.  For
example, a student who fails second semester US History, and takes
summer school to make it up, is he getting an equivalent class or some
generic social studies classes designed to provide a passing grade?

I do not have a problem charging fees for classes offered outside of the
regular school year offerings, but I have a severe problem with a
district evaluating a student as deficient and assigning him to summer
school, and then charging a fee. Never mind the obvious conflict of
interest embedded in this framework, public school education is supposed
to be free.  I also have a real and negative reaction to the idea of
charging JH and HS students for generic classes that supposedly pass as
equivalent course work. But then, why should HS students pay for generic
HS classes when they can pay for college courses any time of the year.

More importantly, I have a most negative reaction to the idea of any
school district charging fees to make summer school "self sufficient"
while other extra curricular activities are funded with education
dollars.  Clearly in this district education plays second fiddle.

John
jdanahy@turbonet.com