[Vision2020] Liberal Thinking

ben merkle benmerkle@moscow.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:08:07 -0800

> Doesn't the argument work just as well the opposite direction, though?
You
> seem to be maintaining that a woman's breasts are *always* sexual, Islam
is
> *always* warlike and hideous, boys *always* hit harder than girls:
doesn't
> that just shift the gravymaking?
>
> Melynda Huskey

Melynda asks if the gravy flows the other way just as easily. Of course not.
Many Muslims don't blow themselves up. As evidence, see the continuing
existence of the Arabic world. There will always be the occasional girl
athlete that keeps the rest of the boys humble. And it shouldn't take much
to notice that sexuality isn't always dished out evenly. The whole point is
that Trinitarians expect to see unity and diversity blended in inexplicable
ways throughout creation. For a tremendous example of this bizarre tension,
just look at the forty toes of my children (# 4, our new daughter Hero, is
now two weeks old). Each one is most definitely a Merkle toe. And yet each
one shouts his individuality from the mountain tops. What else would we
expect from the Triune God?
Ben Merkle