[Vision2020] Liberal Thinking

Nate Wilson natewilson@moscow.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:52:11 -0800

Pilin' in,
    Tom Hansen kindly points out that New Mexico used a female kicker in
the Las Vegas Bowl. She was a back up and the coach sent her in amidst a
sudden desire for an historic moment. She doinked it from 7.5 yds.
History held its breath, was disappointed, and now waits patiently for
that historic day.
    The funny thing about Title IX is that it isn't actually an example
of LIBERAL THINKING! It's an example of Old-time Southern Segregation.
What is with all this nonsense of 'men's' this and 'women's' that. We're
still just a bunch of backwoods boys pretending the back of the bus is
just as good as the front, and this drinking fountain is just as good as
that one. The point, as we have all learned in catechism class, is
integrated equality. That is LIBERAL THINKING!
    I have always dreamed of playing professional basketball, but have
absolutely no chance at the NBA (or the CBA). A six four small forward
doesn't have too much hope. So I am currently in contact (through an
agent) with the Seattle Rain, WNBA. Of course they only know me as N.
Wilson (6'4" 215lbs.) If they deny me a try-out, I sue. If I make the
team, I call all of my insensitive basketball friends (Joffre Swait,
6'9" 275lbs, Luke Jankovic 6'6" 215lbs) and we've got ourselves another
men's league.
    I truly abhor sexism in all forms. And agree with Tom Hansen when he
says,

   " It might seem odd to you that someone would see sexism in the fact
that an
option for educational or personal enrichment was offered to boys but
not to
girls.  Perhaps this is because you have yet to enter the bizarre and
foreign realm of LIBERAL THINKING!  Gasp!  You see, to the crazed
hysterical mind of the liberal, all educational opportunities and
activities of personal enrichment should be offered totally equally
across the board to men and women with no exceptions [that's an
important phrase there: 'no exceptions'].  Thus men get to take home
economics, and women can play football, and everyone will be happy!"

       Why do we have women's volleyball or soccer at the UI? Why can't
the boys try out? Why do we have men's and women's basketball? Why not
just plain basketball and let the best players on the team. What's with
the Olympics? Men's 100m? Let the women in dammit! Sheesh! Have these
people never heard of LIBERAL THINKING!
        We should get past all this Jim Crow stuff and move beyond the
little band-aid attempt at fixing the problem called Title IX. Sports
are for everyone. Quit fixating on gender.