[Vision2020] Canadian bacon

Aaron Schneider durstann@yahoo.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:22:04 -0800 (PST)

--0-1587234876-1047594124=:77204

Indeed, Canada does have a militiary.  In fact, after the action in Afghanistan, we tried to present a group of Canadian snipers with medals for their extraordinary skill in combat.  I believe one Canadian sniper even set a new record for a long distance kill under combat conditions (2400 meteres if I recall correctly).
The Canadian brass wasn't so keen on the idea, though.  They cited popular Canadian thinking, saying that most civilians have a hard time believing their soldiers actually killing people (I'm not sure if the medals ever actually did get presented).
It is this Canadian sentiment, along with them not being a militiary powerhouse, that leads people to think Canada has no militiary.
-Aaron
 Thomas Hansen <tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu> wrote:Having retired from the Army, I can definitely state that Canada does in
fact have a military. As you know, Canada is a part of NATO and
participates in annual NATO exercises (military). I participated in a few
myself (Bardufoss, Norway winters of '84, '85' and '86).

Granted that Canada is no military powerhouse, but they are excellently
trained.