[Vision2020] Canadian bacon

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:39:41 -0800

Having retired from the Army, I can definitely state that Canada does in
fact have a military.  As you know, Canada is a part of NATO and
participates in annual NATO exercises (military).  I participated in a few
myself (Bardufoss, Norway winters of '84, '85' and '86).

Granted that Canada is no military powerhouse, but they are excellently
trained.

-----Original Message-----
From: eevans@moscow.com [mailto:eevans@moscow.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 1:55 PM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Canadian bacon

Aaron Schneider wrote:
>  Carl Westberg <carlwestberg846@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Mr. Schneider, your point is well taken. However, could this not be put
> down as collateral damage?
>
> Carl Westberg Jr.
>

> The provision for collateral damage is explicitly set forth in the passage
quoted.
Specifically, attacks involving civilian casualities "which would be
excessive
in relation
to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated" are prohibited.
Attacks which
are not excessive, or which only have peripheral collateral damage are
acceptable under
the geneva convention.

> While I'm sure that Spears and Timberlake would debilitate Canada's
militiary
(motto:
Canada has a militiary?), the effects on the civilian population would be
unconscionable.

> -Aaron Schneider

Because Canada has no visible military, we have no way of differentiating
between the civilian and military populations. Therefore it cannot be denied

that we must assume, in the name of national security, that the entire
Canadian
population is part of the military - there are no civilians.

Cheers,
-Ed Evans

           http://www.fsr.net/

 List services made available by First Step Internet,