[Vision2020] Civics

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:44:55 +0000

Mike, et. al.

You quite misunderstand the nature of the ongoing discussion about boxing,
lacrosse and female participation in these sports in the Bonham boxing and
lacrosse clubs.  In fact, I was responding to Rosemary Huskey's question
regarding female participation in these sports in the clubs, and to her well
reasoned claim that child abuse is potentially involved in these clubs.

It just happens that these clubs are associated with Christian groups in the
area, and their belief systems are relevant when examining the conduct of
these clubs.  Any group conducting themselves in this manner would be fair
game for commentary, would it not?

Consider this: if a Christian Scientist denies medical care to a child this
should not be commented on regarding their beliefs?  Is this how you are
arguing?  The debate about the way the Bonham boxing club (with it's
connections to Christianity) is conducting itself is, in a lesser manner, a
similar case.

Your attempt at censorship of religious topics on the vision20200 list is
not based on a rational assessment of the importance of religion in
determining the conduct of people, including the nature of warfare, which is
part of what my commentary in the "Amazonian Goddess" post was about.  We
are about to go to war against a Muslim nation and you must be aware that
hundreds of million people around the world do see this as Christian America
waging war against Islam.  How you can suggest that examining the history of
Christian civilization and warfare is not a relevant topic evades me.

Also, my commentary on Christianity is appropriate for Moscow when certain
Christian groups are attacking our public schools based on their religious
beliefs and working to advance their agenda in local politics including the
city council.

You have slammed my vision2020 posts before on vision2020.  While I do not
know you personally, your latest post attacking me personally will be
answered in a future post on vision2020 with the full text of your statement
included.

BTW, I am fully aware of the ill will that I might incur by my criticisms of
Christianity.  After all, it is the dominant religion of the USA, and the
nature of the role religion plays in peoples lives makes it a  very
opinionated and emotional topic.

But if you think I am some kind of common bigot with an unreasoned bias
against any group of people you are quite wrong and will be publicly
corrected, I assure you.

Ted