[Vision2020] bonhom lacrosse

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:59:58 -0800

<P>Dale,</P>
<P>I know nothing of the physical appearance of lacrosse' inventors.&nbsp; However, I'm sure they didn't wear helmets or pads.&nbsp; However, the guys in the UC Davis Lacrosse Club in the mid-eighties were all white males, so I can mock them thoroughly without the slightest concern for their feelings, right?&nbsp; Their fathers were hamsters, and their mothers smelled of elderberries.&nbsp; Or was it the other way around?</P>
<P>I don't know if Rosemary would necessarily object to rugby; after all, you are taught to tackle with your head out of the way, since you don't have a helmet.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Sunil</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Dale Courtney" <DALE@COURTNEYS.US>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] bonhom lacrosse
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:39:55 -0800
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sunil,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Can you just imagine what the likes of Rosemary Huskey, et al, would say to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;little boys playing rugby! I'm sure they would have a fit at something as
<DIV></DIV>&gt;physical and "rough" as Lacrosse -- even with helmets and pads! Someone may
<DIV></DIV>&gt;get beat up, or fall down and get hurt. Yikes!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;And, BTW, it was not Nate Wilson who you should be replying to but Ben
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Merkel. Ben posted that initial note.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Finally, I find your reference to an American Indian sport in such a manner
<DIV></DIV>&gt;as being highly disingenuous and not very sensitive to American Indians and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;their culture -- you are saying that the American Indians themselves were
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Pretty Boys and wimps? It's just not a very Politically Correct position to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;take, especially by a lawyer! <TONGUE cheek in implanted firmly still>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Best,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Dale Courtney
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;-----Original Message-----
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com] On
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Behalf Of Sunil Ramalingam
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sent: Tuesday, 11 March, 2003 10:22
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: dale@courtneys.us; vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] bonhom lacrosse
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;When I played rugby at UC Davis (poorly, on the third and fourth sides;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;opposing players took turns seeing how far they could fling me), we loathed
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the lacrosse players. We called them Pretty Boys, who protected their
<DIV></DIV>&gt;delicate facial features by wearing helmets with face masks, and confirmed
<DIV></DIV>&gt;their cowardice by wearing pads. It did not escape our attention that their
<DIV></DIV>&gt;games drew more attractive women than did ours, and lots more of them;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;apparently our practice of singing vulgar and boorish songs and dousing each
<DIV></DIV>&gt;other with the beer we didn’t drink at our post-game parties made us less
<DIV></DIV>&gt;than charming companions.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;For their part, the lacrosse club viewed us as drunken louts, and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;occasionally publicly observed that our ears grew lumpier as the season wore
<DIV></DIV>&gt;on, most of us had broken noses, and we were idiots.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It is in that spirit that I rise to your bait, Nate, to condemn the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;formation of the Bonham Lacrosse Club. Again, Dale, I must protest your
<DIV></DIV>&gt;willingness to put liberals in boxes. I, as a liberal, care not that Native
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Americans started this vile game you embrace; it bothers me not at all that
<DIV></DIV>&gt;white male Englishmen invented rugby. On behalf of drunken louts of all
<DIV></DIV>&gt;colors and creeds, I challenge you to forsake lacrosse and instead play a
<DIV></DIV>&gt;real game, one whose intense physicality begins where lacrosse players leave
<DIV></DIV>&gt;off, retreating home and weeping into their hankies.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;P.S. Based upon his own report of his boxing match, I must exclude Nate from
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the Pretty Boy category of lacrosse players. Also, his willingness to box
<DIV></DIV>&gt;indicates that he may have an inner rugby player, yearning for freedom.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sunil Ramalingam
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; _____
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get
<DIV></DIV>&gt;services made available by First Step Internet, serving the communities of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the Palouse since 1994. http://www.fsr.net mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
<DIV></DIV>&gt;