[Vision2020] Ezra Pound? Pleeeeze!

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:48:47 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C2E421.C8C1C130

Tim Lohrmann notes that: "Usually the work of openly racist, facist anti-=
semites is viewed as somewhat discredited. Pound was undeniably an "inter=
esting" fellow and was even born in Idaho, but his treasonous speeches in=
 favor of Mussolini and Hitler, his habitual anti-Jewish rants, and his a=
pparent insanity don't lend much credence to his social commentary."

The poem I quoted was written in 1920.  It is not anti-Semitic, nor is it=
 pro-fascist.  Pound was hospitalized in 1941 for mental illness, after m=
aking pro-fascist, profoundly anti-Semitic radio broadcasts in Italy.  He=
 didn't write much poetry during or after that period.  =20

I'd suggest that it is unfair to assume that his later mental illness tai=
nts everything he wrote, and that you'd better be prepared to toss out ne=
arly all of British and American literature if the work of open racists a=
nd anti-Semites is to be discarded, rather than evaluated.

Best,

Melynda Huskey

   =20
  Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.ms=
n.com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C2E421.C8C1C130

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>Tim Lohrmann notes that: "Usually the work of openly racist, facist a=
nti-semites is viewed as somewhat discredited. Pound was undeniably an "i=
nteresting" fellow and was even born in Idaho, but his treasonous speeche=
s in favor of Mussolini and Hitler, his habitual anti-Jewish rants, and h=
is apparent insanity don't lend much credence to his social commentary."<=
/DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The poem I quoted was written in 1920.&nbsp;=
 It is not anti-Semitic, nor is it pro-fascist.&nbsp; Pound was hospitali=
zed&nbsp;in 1941 for&nbsp;mental illness, after making pro-fascist, profo=
undly anti-Semitic radio broadcasts in Italy.&nbsp; He didn't write much =
poetry during or after that period.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I=
'd suggest that it is unfair to assume that his later&nbsp;mental illness=
&nbsp;taints everything he wrote, and that you'd better be prepared to to=
ss out nearly all of&nbsp;British and American&nbsp;literature if the wor=
k of open racists and anti-Semites is to be discarded, rather than evalua=
ted.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Best,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Mely=
nda Huskey</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp; </DI=
orer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>http://explorer.msn.c=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C2E421.C8C1C130--