[Vision2020] The backseat bravery of Lord Macauley.

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:11:39 -0800

--Apple-Mail-8--41576782

Actually, Macauley cribbed the idea from Sophocles, who was a veteran=20
of service with Athens, and merely expanded it into his "Horatius at=20
the Bridge".

If you want to trade poetry quotes from combat veterans, we can do=20
that, but it would take a really long time, and it would take up a=20
bunch of bandwidth.

Regards,

Don Kaag
(Most of whose undergraduate electives were English Literature, and who=20=

has shelves of military history and biography...)

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 12:01 PM, DonaldH675@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Visionaries,
> As far as I know, Thomas Babington, Lord Macauley, 1800 -1859,=A0=20
> despite his poetic defense of war, never actually engaged in battle.=20=

> It is likely that he would have had a few opportunities to do so while=20=

> serving as a colonial administrator in India during the 1830's.=A0=20
> Pretty cheap of him to write about dying for his country when he=20
> apparently contrived to avoid all possibility of actually doing so.=A0=20=

> Perhaps that is why Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen wrote less=20
> about the glories and more about the realities of conflict.
> Rose Huskey

--Apple-Mail-8--41576782

Actually, Macauley cribbed the idea from Sophocles, who was a veteran
of service with Athens, and merely expanded it into his "Horatius at
the Bridge".

If you want to trade poetry quotes from combat veterans, we can do
that, but it would take a really long time, and it would take up a
bunch of bandwidth.

Regards,

Don Kaag

(Most of whose undergraduate electives were English Literature, and
who has shelves of military history and biography...)

As far as I know, Thomas Babington, Lord Macauley, 1800 -1859,=A0
despite his poetic defense of war, never actually engaged in battle.
It is likely that he would have had a few opportunities to do so while
serving as a colonial administrator in India during the 1830's.=A0
Pretty cheap of him to write about dying for his country when he
apparently contrived to avoid all possibility of actually doing so.=A0
Perhaps that is why Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen wrote less
about the glories and more about the realities of conflict.

Rose Huskey

</fontfamily></excerpt>=

--Apple-Mail-8--41576782--