[Vision2020] Poetry for Jeremy, by Poets who Actually Fought

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 18:43:30 +0000

Melynda and Don:

Don wrote to Melynda:

"But you wouldn't understand them, either."

Talk about an arrogant dismissal of someone's capacity for empathy and
understanding!  How, Don, do you know that Melynda cannot in some important
manner understand this poetry?  Because she was not in battle?  I assume
this is your argument.  Then why study the history of people and places you
have never been to?  In this case again I assume your statement "But you
wouldn't understand them, either" should also apply.

Yet I bet you pontificate on historical events that you never experienced
yourself.

Stephen Crane's civil war novel "The Red Badge of Courage" is regarded as
one of the most realistic portrayals of battle and combat from the point of
view of inside a soldier's mind, yet Crane never was in a civil war battle
himself, if I have my facts on this novel correct.

The human imagination has an amazing capacity to allow us to imagine and
feel that which we have never experienced directly.  Can this be the same as
the actual event?  No, but this hardly implies the extreme dismissal you
made of Melynda's capacity to understand the experiences you refer to.

Ted