[Vision2020] Alternatives to Child Abuse, Brain Damage

David Douglas ddarrel_douglas@hotmail.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:59:07 -0800

Ted,

You write:

   <snip>
   "The fact there may not currently be any members of BBC as
    vision2020 subscribers in no way detracts from the relevance and
    appropriateness of the questions and research regarding children's
    boxing that Rosemary has presented to vision2020."
    <snip>

I have no problem with the topic or concern.  However, while questions have
their place, answers, when accessible, tend to provide more information.

    <snip>
    "Could not her questions on vision2020 be an invitation for a
    member of BBC to join the list, and thus answer these questions for
    the edification of all subscribers?  The more vision2020
    subscribers, the more value of the list to the community, right?"
    <snip>

I'll let Rosemary speak for what she was doing. But by your logic, shouldn't
you be asking this question of someone who isn't on the list?

      <snip>
      "Does anyone think this adult endorsement of fist fighting
      will not send a message to children that fist fighting is OK,
      which could then spill over into unsupervised street fights
      between children, where there is more chance that serious injury
      can occur?" <snip>

Not every "anyone", apparently. Unless parents who let their kids box, are
deliberately sending such a message.

Does teaching a child to throw a ball mean you can expect vandalized windows
in the neighborhood?  Teaching children to play football mean random tackles
in the classroom?  Not to put too fine a point on it, what you need to
teach, no matter what children are engaged in, is how and when to act
properly.  If you _don't_ do that, it won't matter what sport you _did_
teach the child.

    <snip>
    "There are other in your face and visceral outlets for aggression
    and physical contest (wrestling for example)...." <snip>

Couldn't that "then spill over into unsupervised street fights between
children, where there is more chance that serious injury can occur"?

As for the danger to the children.  I didn't see the fights (wished I
could've though).  My understanding is that the young'uns through about
middle school wore head gear and padded face masks and all other
participants wore headgear. (Maybe Nate could correct me if I'm wrong about
any of this).

Cheers,

David Douglas