[Vision2020] Arrest aftermath

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:55:08 -0800

At 09:00 AM 3/3/2003 -0800, Douglas wrote:
>To use Bob's illustration, I can look at an IRA bombing without condemning
>all Irishmen. But at the same time, if I were charged with trying to find
>the perpetrators of such a bombing, I WOULD START BY LOOKING AT IRISHMEN.
>I don't want to be unreasonable here, but can someone out there follow the
>argument? It would be poor time management to try to solve a Belfast
>bombing by looking at Peruvians. If we started with the Irishmen, we are
>not maintaining that all Irishmen are bad, or even that all Peruvians are good.

Douglas,

Good job alluding to my illustration without quoting me or your original
comment.  It might appear that the discussion was about racial
profiling.  That was not the case.  Here is your original statement:

"Sunil said the "only conclusion that could be drawn would be that the
particular person charged was not following the rules he is to follow."
This is one possible conclusion, but not the only one. Another possibility
is that the rules are not what they are being represented as being. In
other words, it is at least a logical possibility that jihad means real
physical war, and that lying to the infidel is no more reprehensible in
some Muslim eyes than lying to Nazis would be to me."

Again, my argument is that you point at another group, and claim that the
problem is not limited to the individual, but the problem is ultimately the
group's ideology.  I do not condemn this approach if you judge yourself and
your congregation by the same yardstick.  Speculative example, because I
presume that you'd agree that there is still temptation and sin in your
flock:  "My parishioner X embezzled money from the bank.  It is at least a
logical possibility that our rules are not the rules that he was to follow."

Of course your tacit agreement after the fact is insufficient.  If this is
your operating principle for Muslims, it should be your operating principle
for Christians.  If not, I used a few unflattering terms in my original
posting to describe this attitude.

I extend your example, based on your above statement: "A rotten apple does
not ruin the barrel, unless they are Muslim apples, with a rotten Muslim
barrel."  At least that is what you seem to be saying.

Of course, there's no accounting for interpretation....

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843

Tel: 208 883-0642